Using Assioma pedals with Tacx Vortex trainer

Lengthy and long winded post…

So I did the ramp test again this week using the suggested set up of the Tacx Vortex connected to TrainerRoad app and the pedals connected to the Garmin head unit.

I got the following results for max one min power:

TrainerRoad (Tacx Vortex power source): 330W (link to Ramp test is below)

Garmin head unit (Assioma pedal power source): 355W

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/davidboyle88/rides/58916595-ramp-test

Couple of points…

• Power as per the Vortex is 330W giving FTP of 248W (lower than current FTP of 254W). Frustratingly, on the last step up on the ramp test the Vortex didn’t adjust power and it almost felt like the wheel was slipping so I was stuck on 330W for 30s or so. This has happened me before on ramp tests (I’m not sure why, sometimes it works perfect, other times it just “stalls” on the last ramp up). Once it was clear that the power wasn’t adjusting, I quit the test because I know from experience that it wouldn’t change and thought there’s no point in wasting energy because it wouldn’t translate to a higher FTP value. I think if it had changed though that I would have been able to suffer for at least another minute at the next ramp up in power (345W) which would have gave me FTP of 259W

• Power as per the Assiomas is 25W higher at 355W which is equal to a FTP of 266W

• Any thoughts on what FTP I should go with for next training block? Given the Vortex “failed” on the last step up and I’m confident I would’ve done at least another minute at 345W, I’m thinking I should at least go with 259W for the next training block. Or is it better to go with the 266W per the Assioma’s? I’m thinking the 259W is better because all the workouts have historically been based off the Vortex power or is that the wrong way to think about it?

• Because the Assioma power level is tracking c. 25W (or 8%) higher than the Vortex, does this mean that the power for any workouts using PowerMatch is done at the Assioma power level or the Vortex power level? ie. is my power actually 8% higher than the Vortex power if I use PowerMatch?