Vegetarian or Plant based cyclist?

@Onoda

I made some Bircher Museli last night for my post trail run breakfast this morning. It was delicious :yum: :yum:

I went rogue the night before and made my own recipe up:
Sprouted Rolled Oats
Goji Berries
Chia Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Vanilla Almond Milk
Golden Raisins

Added in the morning:
Almond Milk Yogurt
Blueberries
Raspberries

Thank you for the inspiration :grin:

1 Like

Spirulina is great for pure plant based protein. I also just make sure to plan my meals with more protein rich vegetables. For example, I use lentils in a lot of my recipes.

You should purchase pasture-raised eggs and relinquish any guilt! My wife and I are mostly plant-based but do eat eggs each week but only when we can buy high-quality pasture-raised eggs at the supermarket.

1 Like

I went vegetarian 10 years ago and vegan 7 years ago. However, 3 years ago I started eating cheese and the occasional egg again. I started baking a lot in the last 2 years, so I use some dairy products in that. Then I went to Belize in March. Was unable to avoid eating fish while there and continued once a week when I got back. I try to eat local fresh foods(some from my own garden) and all in my own kitchen and I feel so much better now than I did 10 years ago. I’m also about 12 kg lighter. My only indulgence is Vega Sport protein powder after workouts.

3 Likes

I think, it all comes down to ratios. If you don’t overdo it and you’re happy, what else donyou want? :slight_smile:

I’m a vegetarian since January this year. Tried it for a months and haven’t looked back. Meat is out for me. Still take some dairy. I haven’t found any negative impact on my cycling training although I do take a diet whey protein shake in the morning and after hard workouts. I mainly have the shake and porridge for breakfast. Salad and seed based lunch and veg, beans, rice, quinoa, based dinner mostly. I snack on nuts and fruit as and when needed. The odd treat slips in but well controlled. My weight is at it’s best in 30 years (I am 50) and I am training 6 days a week and managing to maintain my plan and energy.

5 Likes

I make a Kidney bean, black bean & quinoa bowl. Add a little. Vegan butter and your set. Great protein & carbs.

Nice documentation about a vegan runner and the narrator is Rich Roll.
Until tomorrow its for free.
Pretty awesome what she did…

I’m not a full blown vegetarian, I’d say a 99% vegetarian as in I will occasionally have meat eating out if it’s local/sustainable but at home I don’t eat it all all.

I like the description of my diet a vague-an as I don’t really subscribe to any label but try to eat healthy and sustainably.

I’ve notice that in the last 6 years of reducing meat to it’s once every 2 or 3 months level my health has improved but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily down to the no meat more that fact that cooking with vegetables only means you pay attention to what you are eating and how it is prepared. I think it’s more the thought going in that makes the difference.

1 Like

Can you give some more info about Huel?

• Do you use it on non-training days?
  • How much does it cost (is the info on the site accurate= 28 meals for €60)?
  • Is it good for recovery post training?
  • Can you lose weight with it while following the mid volume plan ?
    -…

Sorry for the many questions as I’m curious but always cautious with advertised “hypes”

Thanks in advance

1 Like

No worries!

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help.

2 Likes

Just thinking, this might be handy for folks here too, it’s lifted from their site:

Have you noticed it giving you any headaches? A friend of mine just gave me nearly a whole bag as he’s convinced it gave him headaches. I’ve tried it a few times now, and I’ve had a couple of headaches, and as a rule, I don’t get headaches!

I’m doing some testing to see if its coincidence or not.

Not for the moment. I will order a batch.
Thanks for the info.

Anyone able to recommend a good cheese alternative?

No, not at all. I got a bit of indigestion for the first week or so, though I think I was making it too concentrated, and a bit, um, “gassy”, if I have 4 or more a day.

I did a quick bit of googling and the headaches are very common! No real consensus but a few mumblings of it being the Vanilla flavoured one and the sucralose sweetner in it. Most people say that it subsides after a week of taking it.

If this is the case I’m only taking it a few times a week so I might not get used to it. Its not an important part of my routine, just convenient as it was free! :smile:

Not vegan or even a veg head…but after a serious bout of burnout this summer, it was the VC who inspired me to get back on the bike and start riding again. Take it where you can get it! :+1:

5 Likes

I recently had a cheddar by Koko, coconut based and was pretty good, not super strong cheesy but the texture was good and it could be grated and worked prettty well on a pizza.
For sauces and some meals i’ll use a little engevita which adds flavour and B12, pasta bowls and that kind of thing.
If you’re into making food then check out Rich Roll’s wife (sorry forget her name) who has a book called This Cheese is nuts, lot’s of options, some complicated, some not.

1 Like

Violife, Pizza Pizza uses this as a non-dairy cheese on there cauliflower crust Pizza.

Recommended

2 Likes