Vitamin D and sleep during the winter months

I stick to protein, like casein at night, whey not so good. oatmeal probably ok. It’s slow. PB ok. Sugars would not be good so fruits or syrup in the oatmeal would be out. Cream works though. Bread would definitely be out for me too.

Saying all that I was home late last night from work had to eat at nine. Aaaaaand bingo up at 3. No carbs in the meal at all.

1 Like

Yeah didn’t help me at all with cbd, melatonin, ate at 9, and no caffeine at all. Still up at 330 :joy:

1 Like

My little night horrors last night where due to eating late rather than the content. How can I tell? Well I can’t be certain, of course, but last night I had some vivid dream moments. I have always associated those with having to still process food in my sleep. Dunno where I got that from!

I think eating late is about finding the Goldilocks zone. Just enough to get you through the night but not enough to disturb your sleep and just the right amount of macros not to bounce your insulin levels and just the right time to get it into the bloodstream before lights out.

Basically I probably screwed up last night. Usually I would have just a casein shake, around 200 slow calories. Last night I had dinner… about 700 mixed.

1 Like

(female)
I’ve just started hormone therapy for a medical condition. I’ve had times where my mind is not ready to sleep - wide awake. This has been sudden and started after the first injection.
I figure men have hormones too.
This might be helpful

It looks like there’s a complex relationship between testosterone levels and sleep…

1 Like

Things that I (think) have helped me personally

Vit d
L-theanine
ZMA

Looking at the sleep cycles on my garmin app, the L-theanine creates a rhythmic cycle, so possibly has the most effect? No idea, n=1

1 Like

Myself & my partner decided to buy a sunrise lamp this winter to see if it made a difference. It was only a cheap one, but the sunrise effect really helped with sleep in the nights & mornings. It was mostly for her benefit as she struggled more in the mornings than I did, but I’ve really noticed the difference too.

Two interesting points related to this discussion.

First regarding Vitamin D. As has been shown many times it’s hard to get your body to actually absorb vitamin supplements. Also, vitamins and other nutrients are often not used directly by your body, but rather transformed by your body to produce other important compounds. There’s some research discussed in this Outside article how Vitamin D is probably not as important as believed but rather the nitric oxide that your body will produce if it has Vitamin D AND sun exposure. Vitamin D by itself hasn’t been shown to improve health even though people with lots of Vitamin D naturally in their body do have better health.

Second, food timing has an effect, but most of the discussion so far is talking about eating way too late in my experience. There’s a trick to getting over jet lag and that is to fast (eat nothing but water) for 16 hours before your destination’s breakfast time. That resets your circadian rhythm to use that as your new wake up time. I have found this to work great for me and James Huang from Cycling Tips has sworn by it for years. My wife essentially does this everyday (intermittent fasting, eat during an 8 hour window starting with breakfast, fast the other 16 hours) and it has helped her sleep problems. I also found that my nighttime heartburn issues disappeared after I learned to avoid eating 4 (preferably 5) hours before bed. If I have to eat later than that I am super picky about what I will eat.

Also, I suggest not drinking any water for 11~12 hours before you want to wake up. Anything you do in the middle of the night, including using the toilet, is training your body to wake up. A full bladder is a trigger to wake you up. You can get enough hydration during the rest of the day if you consciously drink often.

The Outside article is very interesting. I didn’t realize that the body produces nitric oxide from sunlight.

We all know that vegetables with nitrates (beet root juice) are performance enhancers because they raise nitric oxide levels.

Sunlight also raises testosterone levels - another known performance/recovery enhancer.

Yep, this is something I have always naturally done anyway. I am usually awakened by hunger in the morning, and taper how much I eat all day, never been a big dinner person.