W/kg and Racing Catagory...do tell

Cat 1 mtb
W/kg: 4.0 right now.

In my experience that number means so much less in mtb than it does in road or tt. Handling, line choice, and shorter duration power output have a much greater influence on race results in mtb than does your w/kg @ threshold.
I’m not saying you don’t have to have a big engine to race mtb well, but there are more factors involved that can negate the higher w/kg of the rider next to you.
I’m entering my first gravel race this spring (Epic 150) and in light of that trying to do some work on both sides of the equation to reach 4.2 or better. Lots of long SS efforts in my future.

2 Likes

I have to agree with those that say not to worry too much about your watts/kg. It really depends on your category, type of race, and terrain. My FTP is currently at 328 (probably around 340 outdoors during the season), which at 195 lbs (88.4 kg) puts me at around 3.8. I’m a cat 4 and did well last year with a win, second, third, and fourth to my credit in 10 races.

In US amateur road racing, my experience is the important thing is to make the selections. That requires a combination of raw watts, some watt/kg, smart positioning, a willingness to dig deep if required, and the ability to recover. Around me, it’s rolling terrain with 3 min max hills, so 1 - 5 minute power is key. If you can put out enough in those 1-5 minute hills to stay with the group, you’re in the mix.

7 Likes

“Interesting” is right. You’re going to do fantastic if you can ride in a pack at all! If you haven’t, I highly recommend the tactics analysis videos. Some of the more advanced stuff may only half apply at cat 5 since the logic and tactical know how of other racers is, understandably, barely there. But you’re going to have fun!

1 Like

Awesome!

Currently ranked Cat 4 @ 4 w/kg. I have been Cat 2 3.4w/kg , post ortho surgery for a ruptured disc.

Last time I raced I was 3 months post achillies surgery. I am looking forward to racing in 2020, fitter, higher FTP, and faster.

1 Like

Too true. This is what everyone should be paying attention to.

So many riders in here spouting 4.5+w/kg, but that means nothing if you don’t know how to ride with it.

For reference: Cat 2, fairly competitive, can definitely hold my own. Last seasons numbers: 345, 4.2 w/kg.

The better you are about knowing where to put yourself and when to use your power, the less you’ll need it. I’ve seen a lot of posts from individuals who seem really concerned with what numbers they should be hitting to race, and the truth is, you shouldn’t be focusing on that at all.

Use your numbers to help you train consistently, and for the most part, ignore it all during your racing, especially if you’re newer. It does you no good to look down at your computer 20 mins into a crit and see that you’ve been averaging 98% of your threshold. All it’s going to do is make you overthink and make a bad decision. Focus on the race, get in the draft, watch the wheels ahead of you to see where you need to react.

8 Likes

54, last year’s best was 351 FTP @ 71 kg. I did one race and got 3rd in the 50+. Right now, 74kg.

I’m a 3. A long time ago I was a 2, but downgraded in grad school due to injuries and available time. At my best in my 20s I was a fair bit stronger than now, but flat windy races meant little success – bad tactics and no hills.

What’s been said about how to use what you have is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I’ve been at this for 40 years and I’m still a moron once I pin a number on. Something about a bike race reduces my functioning IQ by half. I well-conditioned Labrador would do better.

10 Likes

I know that feeling all too well. I usually create the break and ensure the break doesn’t get caught by the field and then finish last in the break be it 2 or 20 riders there with me :joy:

5 Likes

my brother from another mother

you just described my approach to every race that isn’t a summit finish

1 Like

I agree completely, but sometimes light riders need those high w/kg like myself. I’m around 4.8 right now, but only 64kg, so only a 310w ftp. I’ve won flat crits before, but everything has to go right for me - tactics wise and luck.

1 Like

Racing FTP 290-300 75-76kg. 3.8 to 4 wkg.

Pack finisher in cat 3-4-5 crits cause I’m not strong enough to ride away and my 1 min power is only about 550-600 at the end of a race and my 15 sec is only 900-1000 ish.

Best results are AG podiums in gravel road races / top 10 overalls cause I don’t stick my nose in the wind and can get up the 4-8 minute climbs at about 5 wkg that usually causes selections.

Road races ? Nobody road races anymore. :confused:

mtb - AG podium. I’d bet I’m more fit than most mtb racers around here but this is so much more about skill than raw power.

1 Like

The first RR in Texas completely sold out (300 racers) and they opened up a B race for the 4/5. Alive and well in Texas!

4 Likes

Not in Michigan

Where you racing? I want to make sure to avoid you in the cat 4/5 races :wink:

Numbers don’t mean you can win races. I’ve won races against higher FTP riders, because I can sprint. My 40sec, 20sec and 10sec power are good and I have a kick. But I can also TT which means I can hang with higher grades. Tactics and knowing your strengths, looking at wind direction, the finish before a race, at the road, where do you want to position yourself in the last 1k, and 300m. And having a bit of confidence in yourself.

2 Likes

Definitely agree with the folks saying the numbers are less important than knowing how to race.
I like to think I punch above my weight because I’ve got a handy sprint and the ability to go deep repeatedly, which FTP doesn’t really do much to represent. My FTP is pretty unassuming (276 as of my most recent ramp test a couple weeks ago), especially for my weight (81 kgs, which I wish I could say gets lower in race season, but that’s mostly wishful thinking).
Using what I’ve got at the right times has been enough to get me up to Cat 3 on the road and Cat 2 in CX and Track, including a pair of masters nationals titles on the track.
If I want to go much further on the road I will likely need to cut at least a few pounds, though - at a certain point physics trumps tactics!

5 to 5.3w/kg, cat 1

Brendan

5 Likes

Perfect answer, thanks that’s what I was hoping to get from this thread. Not quite so much commentary. Strong #’s

3 Likes

This, and it makes me sad. I’m newer to cycling, so all I have is a road bike at the moment. Can’t really afford a gravel bike too right now. Makes it really hard to find organized events to do. :frowning: All of the even remotely local road races to West Michigan are criteriums and it seems there’s only like 3 left this year.

2 Likes

That’s impressive :+1:t2:
This is #bikegoals for me … :grin:

4.94 W/kg is so far away it seems unattainable - despite age 54 being still 7 years away for me yet :see_no_evil:

Attainable target is more likely 4W/kg given I’m at around 3.5 now - UK Cat-4

5 Likes