Wake Up Trainerroad!

Hey, I love the trainer. I developed my shopping addiction totally separately. :wink:

Yes, but only when identifying that specific category name on the forum… :wink:

3 Likes

Not yet. There initial attempt at training plans was weak. But 100% certainty that Zwift will be implementing TR type functionality and Training Peaks type analytics very soon. And then the choice for Zwift as serious training tool becomes (too) compelling.

5 Likes

Agree on this - raised it before and someone pointed out the comments often include notes on when certain topics are discussed. Would it really be a lot of work though for a TR staffer to cut the podcast up into the topics and make the titles searchable too?

Just an idea. @Jonathan

1 Like

That would be amazing !!!

3 Likes

Every episode thread on the forum gets the subjects added. And they are made into links that jump to the relevant section of the video.

I take it that you’re not subscribed to the TR feed from YouTube? They have been releasing MANY clipped videos on topics just like this.

6 Likes

They have already started this, check out the you tube page for trainer road quick clips

Edit: @mcneese.chad beat me by a full bike length there!

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know about this. Is this quite recent? Whjen I was looking at the TT video (164) about 4 months ago, when I first encountered TR, and I was frustrated that I could not easily get to or find the parts I wanted. So gave up a bit on them. (That is why, though subscribed to the youtube channel I have not visited it in a while).

So, for instance I was watching 164 TT Stae champs, 40k TT State Champs, Naps for Cyclists, Leadville’s Best Secret and More - Ask a Cycling Coach 164 - YouTube and it does not have those markers.

I appreciate it would be a pain to work backwards, but there must be a host of good stuff in the little snippets, the videos are often quite wide ranging, and it would help.

Will start looking at the channel again.

1 Like

It’s fairly recent and they will continue to add videos, I believe that the aspirational goal is 1 per day

While this is possible, I have very strong doubts it will be ‘soon’. They just got a big infusion of money for e-sports and I think this will remain their primary focus in at least the near-term. The investment dollars for training and analytics are just not the same.

2 Likes

Agree… rolled my eyes a bit (a lot) reading the OP. Why assume you know their membership trends, or their plan, or their competition. OP clearly doesn’t.

3 Likes

Not yet. There initial attempt at training plans was weak. But 100% certainty that Zwift will be implementing TR type functionality and Training Peaks type analytics very soon. And then the choice for Zwift as serious training tool becomes (too) compelling.

How does Zwift become more compelling by simply following along? Zwift still haven’t solved the main thing that keeps me from being a customer - they only have one ‘entertainment’ option and it sucks. I far prefer watching Netflix or Youtube or (with harder workouts) listening to the music of my choice, than watching a bunch of video game cyclist butts.

When you’re just spinning around doing completely unstructured Zwift noodling, OK, the cyclist butts are sort of meaningful. But I don’t get on the trainer to do unstructured noodling. I’m on the trainer to get faster, which means structured workouts, and the Zwift video game aspect is completely counterproductive to this aim, for me. Doesn’t matter how much they add in the realm of analytics or structured workouts (and they have a LOT of catching up to do there), I’m still stuck watching boring video game cyclist butts, that during an actual workout really have no relevance to the workout. No thanks.

4 Likes

And still doesn’t address their device requirements either. A closed android beta (edit - turns out I was incorrect - FAKE NEWS), for limited devices (for what seems like a substantial time. I actually do want to try it, after so many seemed to do laps during Disaster Day - no sign of the beta opening up since. If my Android device options (which both work without issue on TR) are even supported.

1 Like

Another option is to use the Soundcloud episodes.

They still add the markers to jump to topics in there as well. Mostly convenient on PC/Mac use, but it may be possible on the mobile app too?

Are you sure it’s a closed beta?

I recently installed it straight out of the Google Playstore on my phone without signing up for a Zwift Beta or anything.

More on topic:

I used to just run TR and some music when I was training. At one point I got a bit fed up with structured training and did two weeks of whatever kind of training I felt like that day and decided to try Zwift on one of those days.

Nowadays I run both of the simultaneous where TR controls the power and Zwift just follows and it seems it’s working better for me.

(Macbook runs TR via ANT+ connection on trainer, Zwift runs on my phone and gets the power numbers via bluetooth, I mirror my phone’ screen via Chromecast to the big screen.)

It could very well be that the visual representation of my TR effort in Zwift creates a more mental positive feedback than the layout in TR.
On the other hand it could also be the two week break of structured training that has given me some positive energy.

Guess it’s great that there is so much diversity out there in training software, just keeps the companies sharp and innovative (or at least it should). And as a consumer you get to choose what works for you.

I can verify that it was originally. They limited total number of users in the initial Beta release.
But that was 6 months ago and it is likely that they have opened it up since then.

Ah ok, I should’ve asked if Macy was sure it was “still a closed beta”. I won’t edit it as your post clarifies that part.

1 Like

Actually, just double checked on web, and it’s not supported on my device, but is on the awful kids tablets (a bit bizarrely, given the difference in specs). So no, not closed beta as it turns out!

I just pushed install to my Android Box, which is showing as supported, but then I read that it doesn’t work with my Hammer, so I’m still a ways off experiencing zwift as it turns out!

1 Like

Thanks or the Soundcloud tip @mcneese.chad that helps.

1 Like

The only I miss are the old PRs. I’m fine with turning on Netflix or playing a podcasts for entertainment. However, this is coming from someone that let his Zwift and suffercrap subs lapse.

My guess this would get better reception on the Zwift forum.

Best of luck to you m8. To each his own. May we support the cycling to the best of our abilities.

1 Like