Watteam Powerbeat

power-meter

#1

Any other Powerbeat users out there? Specifically the Gen 2 type

How do you find them? I have been using them for about 6 months and after realising phone chargers mess with their signals, they have been ok. Except for high power. Any sprint efforts above ~500w, the signal drops out until I back off again.
I saw DC Rainmaker had these issues but in the 800w range. Waiting to hear back from Watteam, but I haven’t found their support to be the greatest.

Wondering if anyne else is experiencing this issue?


#2

This might be slightly off topic but how do you connect them to trainer road? I’ve been using the desktop app and if I connect via ant+ I don’t get power. Are you using bluetooth? Phone App?


#3

I am using ant+. I have a PC with an Anself ant+ dongle, as recommended by TR. I used their drivers too.

Is yours transmitting on BLE? Can you phone see it? You can use the app to change from ANT+ to BLE, but it is so hit and miss, so annoying as I want to run TR on my phone then send it to the telly with the AppleTV.


#4

Thanks! I stepped away from it last night and read a bit more and realized that I was just doing it wrong. I was able to get cadence and power set up last night after a little bit!


#5

Smashing!!
Do an all out sprint if you can. Mine stops transmitting data when I do sprint drills. It’s so annoying!
I have a ticket in with Powerbeat, waiting to hear back from them…


#6

I’ve been using the Gen 1 PowerBeats for 11 months and they’ve worked great with TR, Zwift, and on the road. Power matches up nicely with my CycleOps Magnus trainer and gives me consistency when I’m not rising on the trainer. I did have a spell where the meters were off for a bit following an accident (slid across a slimy boardwalk). Fortunately, it was remedied with remounting everything (the strain gauges were fine, just the other hardware) and repeating the full calibration. I’m not powerful; according to TrainingPeaks, my all time 5 second power record is 970 watts. That particular effort was using Zwift. I’ve got 11x 5 second power readings over 800 on Zwift and TR and one over 700 read via by Edge 520 in the real world. 75% of the time I use TR and Zwift with a PC using a Garmin ANT+ Dongle on an extension. The other 25% of the time I use one of my Samsung Android devices (has ANT+ built in) to run TR, and have not had any issues there either.


#7

Well that is reassuring!
I am not as powerful as you, well I don’t know, as mine drops out before I can see a PR! Saying that, outside on one commute I saw over 1000w whilst shouting STRAAAAVVVVVVAAAAA!

I get the drop outs when on the trainer with a USB ANT+ stick, and on my Garmin Fenix 3. I have heard back from Powerbeat, they want pictures of my installation. I can see this being a long painful process!
Here is the last drop out I had during one endurance workout.