Weight Loss - Acceptable Caloric Deficit?

You are basically in starvation mode. The downside of that is the body will hang on to body fat as a survival method.

I would focus on fixing your metabolism to burn stored fat through quality food, plenty of water, plenty of sleep and lots less stress.

Starvation mode is a myth.

5 Likes

I’m using mfp to track calories and using 1/2 pound per week goal wt loss to set calories. It’s about 2200 per day. I’m also adding calories burned during workouts to my daily total, so on workout days I’m about 3k calories. Half way through power build moderate volume. I didn’t lose wt in base because it was mostly holidays. (Didn’t gain tho) I’ve done all workouts feel very good and lost 4 lbs 4 weeks into block. Choosing complex carbs/whole foods avoiding refined sugars (is beer whole food?) and pushing lean and plant protein. 50/25/25 mix. I’m looking to loose 7 more pounds through this build and next block. I’m 5’11 172 so by everyday standards I’m “lean” but not by racer standards. My caloric deficit is probably 300 cal a day

2 Likes

I’m in a very similar situation to you, 5ft 10” (just) 75kg and I’m using MFP to reduce by a similar amount per day, but prioritising good nutrition for my plan over calorie deficit. My weight is reducing (6 lbs in sixty days) at what I think is a manageable rate.

I’m also successfully completing my workouts and raising my FTP, and I feel generally good. But it is a lot of work to manage, sometimes I feel like just ditching the diet but I keep telling myself it is more quality nutrition to support my training load, than anything else.

I think 500 is fine. We still need to be healthy and fuel our bodies. If you are doing 1200 kcal a day it is not healthy and you should relook your relationship with food.

1 Like

@marcxlanglois- Thanks for the recommendation on Shred Science! I signed up and used you as a referral.

I tried limiting calories last season before my A race and whilst I did lose about a kilo, my FTP was worryingly stagnant for several months.
This season I’ve just tried to maintain and not concern myself with losing any weight. So far I’m 20w ahead of my best FTP last season. I don’t think I could have gained a similar w/kg increase through weight loss.
My philosophy now is to leave the weight loss to the elites. I’ll just aim at increasing my watts.

2 Likes

Awesome thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I just crossed the 20# line as far as weight loss and my FTP is up from 245>315 since October which is huge alone but add all of that weight loss and my w/kg has skyrocketed.

1 Like

In Addition to all that above maybe a higher workload could be an idea. If you bmr is eg at 2000 kcal. Your tdee at 2500 you would need to eat 1850 kcal. If you like some noodles or something else caloric dense it’s hard to stick to the regime. But if you do some walks in the park, a very low intensity spinning session and move more you could easily add 1000 kcal. So you could eat 2850 kcal. It’s good for the soul and maybe worth a try.

From everything I know 500 kcal is sustainable, some people can handle 1000 but obviously that would effect your training. But in this range it should be ok.

1 Like

I am a Vegan too. May I use your picture?

I put your name down as a referral.

I would also recommend reducing your deficit to 250 or so per day when after you finish your base phase. I’ve found that just trying to maintain is difficult during high intensity phases and stagnation is usually what happens if I continue cutting weight, plus I’d just feel like crap most of the time.

Awesome thank you! I’m hoping you have the same successes I have been experiencing. It has a couple growing pains but if you push through those first couple weeks of the learning curve and you’ll start to see the real gains!

2 Likes

Of course! #GoVegan!

how did it work?

Hello everone,
I have a question about loosing weight strategy. I am following ssbhv 1 plan and also want to loose 5 kg. So i use fitness pal and choose 0,5 kg loose per week. So i need to take about 1750 caloris per day. And also i need to fuel for hard workout as well. For example today i am going to do wright peak -2 (which is 3x30 mins 85%) and i will burn 1600 caloris approximately. So do you think i ate well for today? I ate 1.400 caloris surplus and 2 hours later i will do the workout and do not consume any caloris during and i will burn 1600 caloris. I ate too much but i will burn them i think. But i do not sure wherher it is true or no?

P.s: i am 79 kg with 1.88 cm height rider. (298 ftp)