Weight scale integration

Hi - are there any scales that are easier to sync with TrainerRoad than others? I’d like the Garmin scales for the Garmin Connect integration but understand it’s not so good at integration with other sites.

Thx

Weight History?

This thread contains lots of scale discussion.
Nothing currently connects directly to TR at the moment.

Thanks.

This is a good idea though. Even if you don’t have a Garmin scale, you can get weight to sync to Garmin Connect through MyFitnessPal, which supports quite a few devices, I use the FitBit Aria for example.

Thanks. Am going for the Nokia/Withings and will try MyFitnessPal to sync to Garmin!

Nate has the same scale I do and I am really surprised he has not synced it to TR yet to have a daily accurate watt/kg and a log within TR that could show weight swings in conjunction with performance metrics.

I bet he’s thought of it and written some lines of code …

I’m guessing they want to do this right. By adding weight to each individual workout, you are adding another point in time that you have to analyze against for performance metrics; if you take this too far, TR could get very slow depending on how metrics are calculated (I haven’t opened up the hood to see if the analysis is happening client versus server side). If you have ever used WKO4, you’ll know what I mean, because the computation time for some of the metrics is ungodly slow even with a pretty powerful machine.

Making a good watt/kg graph that provides actionable insights isn’t trivial!

I think from an integration standpoint it would be easiest to integrate with Apple health since most scales sync with apple health. This allows the TR team to maximize their time and not write one off integrations for each scale. I know wahoo has done exactly this. I currently have a Nokia scale and each more when I step on it syncs to Nokia’s cloud and back to Apple health app. Because wahoo is allowed from a provision standpoint, pull from Apple health the weight in the wahoo app is up to date daily. I believe this is a feature TR will be building sometime in the future.

I messaged Nate on Strava about this a while ago, and he said it was a cool idea and would suggest it.

I currently have the Withings scales, and have then syncing to MyFitnessPal which then syncs to Garmin Connect. I also have them connected to Strava via IFTTT which works great.

I think it just fires a webhook, so it should be relatively easy to get it working with TR that way, rather than creating a full blown API.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Not everyone uses Apple products, would be interesting to how many TR users have accounts with Apple health to see if this would be the easiest way to develop things. I’m also sure Apple, like many other businesses, don’t give things away for free.

I’m sure most already dump their data somewhere, Garmin Connect , MFP, Strava? etc. As integration engines (and agreements/costs) already exist with many platforms I’m sure the easiest way would be some addition amendments to the data they pull/push into TR.

Scales that use ANT+ to communicate directly with TR would be perfect. No reliance on anyone else. Weigh before and after a workout… even more data points !!