What Data is on your Garmin (or Wahoo) Head Units?

What fields do people have on their head units for when out riding and or racing?

2 Likes

5s Power
Speed
Cadence
Distance

Speed is mostly for pacing on group rides. Distance is my ā€˜clockā€™ so I know when rest stops or end of ride is coming up. Cadence just to give me something to remind me to push my cadence back up.

2 Likes

Nice and simple page I like that.

i ask because my pages (I had 3) were rather busy and I wanted to simplify them. Then wondered what others had.

When evaluating a field ask ā€˜what decision is this going to help me makeā€™. A ton of information is mostly interesting after the fact. So just let it sit in the data file until it gets sucked into TR/TP and look at it there.

1 Like

Iā€™ve set up two pages for specific types of races I do. For the long distance stuff I usually have route information so I know how long until the next checkpoint so I can gauge/adjust water/food input as necessary. For CX races I have some zone information so I can guesstimate how many matches I have left. For everyday rides, just speed, distance, and elapsed time. Iā€™d say the elapsed time is the most important so I can get home in a reasonable amount of time and not suffer repercussions.

Most often for training:

Most often for racing (mostly crits). Iā€™d have laps on here too if Wahoo would add lap by location.:

2 Likes

For CX I keep it simple and have total time and lap time.
LEDs along the top keep me honest

5s Power
RPM | HR
Distance | Ride Time

I also have a second screen for long climbs with gradient/RPM/5s Power/HR

Got 25 mile TT race on weekend and wondered what people thought best to but on data fields of my garmin 500.

Fairly small screen so wamt to limit it to 5 bits of data max. No. 1 is larger so easier to see then 4 smaller fields.

Thinking
1 - 3s power
2 - distance
3 - avg power
4 - speed
5 - avg speed

Was also going to set auto lap for 2.5 miles (or maybe 5 miles) so regular updates on time.

3s power
Speed
Distance
Time
Cadence
HR

I just have something taped on my bars or written down on the back of my hands where I should be at certain times. So, for me, since I donā€™t have a power meter on my TT bike, Speed, time, and HR work the best.

1 Like

Is normalized power useless during races/training?

I would think so. What decision would you make during a race/ride based on it?

1 Like

For TTs: Avg Speed
Distance
3s Power
For Crits: Elapsed Time
3s Power
Speed
I like to have just enough data on screen to help with decision making in a race, i find it easier to consume and process above listed, then try to filter out too much ā€œnoiseā€. When Iā€™m training, I will add more data such as Heart Rate, Xert FTP, Wā€™ Prime etc.

I would suggest using as few data fields as possible, if you have a time goal for completing the TT I would use the average speed data field and target the average speed needed to meet your time goal. I would then add the distance to help guide you in metering out your effort, so you know when its 1-2km to go, start emptying the tank. Lastly I would use 3 second power, this will help you not break the number one rule of not going out too fast and will help monitor power output on hills, into wind etc., where you want to up the power but not blow up. Good Luck in your TT

1 Like

For mtb races I have lap time, avg speed, and maybe HR. For training or general riding I have time of day, speed, HR. Just ordered my first power meter, so that will find a spot too. Donā€™t like lots of stuff on the screen, and honestly I only look @ it occasionally.

Outdoor ride Screen 1:
Elapsed time
Distance
Cadence
HR
Speed
3s power

Outdoor ride screen 2 (just for looking at if weā€™ve stopped, or to check if Iā€™m running late):
Time of day
Elevation gain
TSS
Average power
Normalised Power

Trainer workout:
HR
Cadence
3s Power
Speed (Iā€™m on a dumb trainer, and it helps me check when the trainer and power meter are properly warmed up, as I generally know what speed relates to what power, but it can take 5-10 minutes before they line up)

Crit:
Elapsed time
3s Power
Cadence
(no HR during races, it just messes with your head)

Road race:
Distance
Cadence
3s power
Speed (probably donā€™t need this, but itā€™s kinda fun sometimes to look down and realise, shit, weā€™re going pretty fast)
I should probably add in elapsed time for a road race over 1.5-2hrs, as a prompt for when to eat.

To slow down or speed up, depending on what is to be expected and the current NP to FTP? People donā€™t use NP this way so I guess Iā€™m wrong.

Otherwise I wouldnā€™t care about anything but: 3 s power, time, distance.

I think the answer depends too much on everyoneā€™s needs: do you race? do you have the PM? do you use it also for WO?

I have 3 screens: main screen (speed, cadence, km, time, power 30sec, slope, altitude), climb (with the lap data I start at the beginning of the climb: cadence, km, power at 10s and 30s, altitude, slope ) and a screen with the averages and various info

For Crits:
10s Power
Elapsed Time
Cadence

For Road Races:
10s Power
Speed
Cadence

For Rides:
All the data for fun