What do you use to run TrainerRoad? (Platform / Device)

I run it on my windows pc with a 20 inch monitor. In the 4 or 5 years I’ve been running it I can count the serious glitches I’ve had on one hand. I run Netflix in the background with TR in minimal mode for all but the hardest of workouts.
Never tried a mobile version.

I use a stages pm and Elite Qubo power dumb trainer.

Elite Direto
iPhone 8
Scosche Rhythm plus

I bought a cheap case on amazon (Ringke Slim, based the the TR blog post about making a phone mount for indoor us), then bought a quarter turn mount with double sided tape to stick on the back (Universal Adapter for GARMIN Mount by ZTTO). I got this one because it was the cheapest option (and I’m a certified cheap skate), but there is a similar item made by KOM cycling.

All of this was based on the TR blog post about making a phone mount for trainer rides, and it works great!

I have an old work laptop, 14" Dell Core i7, 32Gb RAM, Generic ANT+ dongle from Amazon and BueGiga BT dongle. Battery is just about cooked, so it has to be plugged in all the time

1 Like

iPad mini mounted on a goose neck “thing” clamped onto shed wall.
Has worked perfectly with my Kickr Core, Tickr and speed/cadence for 14 months now.

1 Like

Mac Mini displayed on my 32" TV, ANT dongle on 6’ USB cable, Powertap G3 hub, Inside Ride rollers, Garmin cadence sensor and HRM.

TrainerRoad works flawlessly, with the exception of a weird occasional bug where the workout starts with the “Load Workout” screen not dismissing.

Zwift, OTOH, is a buggy POS that requires restarting repeatedly until it finds all my devices and doesn’t hang on the device screen. But once it gets completely loaded, it’s fine.

At home I run TrainerRoad on my MacBook Pro wired up to a monitor I’ve mounted on the wall in front of my trainer. When I travel with my bike and trainer, or go to trainer parties (because that’s the kind of wild and crazy guy I am) I’ll use my iPhone instead.

2 Likes

Tacx flux s
Scosche rhythm+

50/50 between an old win 7 laptop and an android phone. I much prefer the experience of the android phone but the laptop is hooked up to a 32" TV in the room so runs TR and my media at the same time.

@Nate_Pearson is there any chance we could get the zoomed in interval view from mobile app portrait view on desktop? Ild happily shrink the overview by 1/3 or so horizontally to make the space for this!

I use a MacBook. I have the Chrome browser running and casting Netflix/Amazon Video/BBCiplayer to a TV mounted above the laptop with TR showing on the laptop screen. I have an Ant+ Stick but sometimes use Bluetooth.

Samsung phone, Kickr Snap, Ant+ only.

Spotify tunes in wired ear phones.

Ant+ or ble adapter?

Old Laptop with W7 and 24" screen / Stick An+ / Elite Direto
That’s it - No problem.

My setup is:

• 2015 vintage Intel NUC running Windows 10, with a 39" 1080P TV
  • Ant+ Stick connected right under my bottom bracket using the TrainerRoad recommended USB extension cable
  • Wahoo Kickr gen1 - still works fine
  • Lasko 20" fan for cooling
  • Bluetooth wireless headphones
  • Scosche’s Rhythm gen1 optical heart rate monitor

The Intel NUC has enough power / graphics capability to run TrainerRoad + video & audio (see below) concurrently.

For entertainment, I use:

• Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • NBC Sports Gold Cycling Pass
  • Flobikes
  • Old races I have stored on a NAS drive
  • Spotify
  • Amazon Prime Music
  • iTunes
1 Like

I use an iPad, Tacx Neo (started with Gen 1 KickR). I use Bluetooth as I’ve found ANT+ to be way too unreliable for controlling a trainer.

yes, we’ll be adding more views while we improve the desktop apps which is what we’re working on now.

5 Likes

From a top level view, it kind of seems the ios gets the most attention, followed by windows and android, then mac.

I put them in that order as it seems like the bells and whistles (ability to change ride level in the app) are in the ios. Works well with BLE. Not so well with ant+?

Windows works well with ant+, my experience, not so well with BLE.

Android, no experience but it seems that ant+ works, not too many posts with BLE

Mac book, ant+ and some times BLE. I put mac at the bottom after the whole calendar issue. I don’t personally have too much experience with MacOS to list pros and cons in regards to making software for this OS and what the programmers have to work with.

My top level view of BLE vs Ant+, BLE establishes a connection and becomes an issue if you want more than one device. Ant+ sounds like it just broadcasts, multiple connections. I’ve been happy with ant+ so far on windows and BLE on Iphone 7 as a backup.

I started this thread to see where things sit in terms of hardware and software. I enjoy equipment that works with the least amount of hassle, when I get on the bike, I don’t want to close an app, open an app, unplug this, unplug that. I want to turn it on at 3am and ride. Which my laptop (Dell Precision 5520) has been providing for me so far. Ever since starting the indoor riding, I thought of investing in an ipad but the current configuration just works, probably should leave well enough alone. Knowing me, probably not.

I’ve used iPhone 5s and iPhone 7 with ANT+ adapter, works just fine with TR and Zwift.

My own setup is Kickr 2017 with Stages PM, and the Kickr is configured to ignore optical sensor PM and use Stages power over ANT+. Then iPhone running TR app controls Kickr via Bluetooth. Quadlock case and phone on handlebars. Apple TV for watching YouTube videos, bike races on NBC Gold, or music. And Apple TV controls music for when I’m working in the garage or outside. Got tired of dragging MacBook Pro downstairs, and its just easier to use phone.

Just upgraded to Stages LR on Friday night, and will be dual recording with Garmin Edge 520 to start getting some feeling for L/R balance and other data. Primary interest was in true total power, and installing old crank with left-only Stages PM on my other bike.

2 Likes

I use a Wahoo Kickr 2018, a MacBook for Youtube/Flobikes, my Android phone for TR, Power2Max power meter. Also (and most importantly) a Lasko 20" fan.

IPhone 6+ to view TR
Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro Trainer
Stages PM
Willpower

To throw even one more option out there…
I picked up one of these 3D printed iPhone 6 case/mounts and quite happy with it
iPhone 6 QT Case for Out Front Garmin Mounts