What is going on with Sram AXS?

Why would the hub matter? Don’t you bolt the AXS rear mech onto a hanger like every other derailleur?

I’m wondering if the AXS xx1 can be configured to work on an existing 11 speed cassette, or is it stuck only working with a 12 speed boost setup?

SRAM 12 speed requires an XD driver if I recall correctly.

Correct, 12 speed requires XD.

The NX Eagle cassette is different to SRAM’s other 12-speed cassettes. That’s mainly down to the fact that unlike its XX1, X01 and GX equivalents, that offer up a 10-50t, 500 percent gear range, the new NX number uses a bigger 11t smallest sprocket (though retains the massive 50t sprocket), which equates to a narrower 454.5 percent range.

And while you lose a bit in terms of gear range, it does mean you won’t need SRAM’s dedicated XD Driver freehub body to mount the cassette on. That’s because it’s designed to fit onto a regular splined number (just like the 11-speed 11-42t NX cassette).

1 Like

I think I’m not doing a very good job at explaining my question.

Does anyone know if SRAM’s new AXS wireless derailleur will work on an existing 1x11 cassette? Or does the system itself (similar to normal cabled derailleurs) only work with the designed 1x12 system?

1 Like

You are trying way too hard to defend AXS dude

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

To make matters worse, XD and XDR are not the same. XD cassettes (MTB) will fit on an XDR freehub body with a spacer but XDR cassettes (road) will not fit on an XD body.

Mike

AXS is EAGLE backwards compatible, which I would assume would be 12 speed. The question is can you use a 12 speed shifter and derailleur on an a 11 speed cassette?

SRAM specifically stated about 11S and 12S cable pull. They replied: “The shifters between groups of different speeds do not have the same amount of cable pull.” Given that the 12S cassette sprocket pitch is less than 11S, this would explain why the 12S derailleur works with the 11S shifter; it appears it’s actually the 12S shifter that differs, X-ACTUATION marketing aside.

So maybe with no “cable” in play, it’s possible it could work.

This is my thought as well, especially since they’ve built in the ability via software to basically change what you want the shifter buttons to control (dropper post, rear/front shifting, etc…). Plus, since there is the ability to build in micro adjustments, you’d think that they would be able to program an “11 speed” mode into the software and let the rear mech work fine with 11 gears. I’m hopeful!

If anyone cares, I was able to confirm from my local LBS, who confirmed with SRAM, that AXS only works with a 12 speed/cog cassette. You cannot configure it to work on a 1x11 system.

2 Likes

This just popped up on my Instagram homepage!

Edit: https://launch.sram.com/en/axs/products/sram-force-etap-axs-groupset

1 Like

$2500 for 2x12 electronic isn’t bad.

I’m happy with my Ultegra Di2 but if I was buying a new bike, Force AXS would prob be higher on the list.

Makes me wonder if a GX Eagle AXS is in the cards? Doubtful but that would be nice.

Is it just me, or is the idea of moving to smaller gear sizes (not ratios) a bit off putting?
If we are talking about a high performance group-set then why would you sacrifice mechanical efficiency of larger tooth counts, not to mention the all out stupidity of a 10t cog? Along with disc breaks being forced down our throats by frame manufactures It seems like road bikes are becoming less and less built for racers.

The efficiency angle is covered in detail above. My take is that any difference is so minimal as to be easily ignored as static. Similar thoughts on the 10t cog. I have not seen conclusive evidence that it is a real harm. Plenty of speculation and arm-chair engineering, but not much beyond that.

In any case, I fail to see how these designs are “less built for racers”. Are we talking average Joe’s or Pro’s? I see it a bit differently for both.

And disc brakes are a topic unto their own. For now at least, there are still plenty of old school rim brake and regular gearing options. We will see how this progresses, but those against disc brakes may want to stock up now, as I see the rim brake slipping further down the price point scale on large production bikes. As some point, it may find itself relegated to pure entry level and the top end boutique range.

Shimano will have to let us see if they take a step in the direction that SRAM is setting, or if they stick to the traditional ranges in the future (as they have already done).

1 Like

In my mind Force AXS is exactly what a racer would want — unless he or she can afford the more expensive Red version. Either you get a wider gear range or better gear spacing. You get reliable electronic shifting that improves front mech shifting and shifting under load when compared to mechanical group sets. I don’t know why you rant about disc brakes, they do offer rim brake versions of all the combinations. (Even the rim brake versions officially support 28 mm tires now.)

And I don’t know why you lament the efficiency of 10-tooth cogs, you have lots of competing factors here such as increased weight for the cassette and the chain rings if you instead use a larger cog for tall gears, include improvements in chain technologies and consider the fact that most of the time you don’t use the tallest gear anyway. Adding all these together and considering the fact that the bike industry has already had years of experience with 10-tooth cogs in the MTB world, it seems like a net positive to me.

4 Likes

Or with Oval chainrings…

That can go both ways, depending on the group (bike techno geeks will love it, Campy friction-shifters will hate it) and on the chainrings (Rotor maybe, Biopace certainly not).

1 Like

Lots of people I ride with have oval chain rings, and most use a semicompact. I think I will stick with a compact setup, though, there are only a few places where I can safely spin out (because we are not pros and there is always a chance of oncoming traffic). I really like being able to muscle up rolling hills with a 50:24 or 50:28 without having to shift into the small chain ring.