What is the benefit of matching outdoor ride with planned indoor workout?

I know how to match an outdoor ride with a planned indoor workout but why and when should I do it and what is the benefit? (Especially if I have not more than one planned workout per day.)

When NOT matching both workouts, I see those side by side with the outdoor ride checkmarked and the indoor workout skipped. Seeing this I automatically assume that I did that outdoor ride instead of the planned indoor workout AND also keep seeing the workout that was originally planned for that day (I think this is a benefit).

Then after matching there is no more skipped workout to see as it gets associated with the outdoor ride. So the benefit might be to have not “skipped” anything…but does skipping lead to any consequence in some statistics or whatsoever?
Whereas the downside is that you cannot immediately see in the calendar which workout got replaced by the outdoor ride (you have to click into the outdoor ride to see).

Am I missing something?

Finally the second aspect of the question:
Should I only match outdoor rides to planned indoor workouts if the ride roughly matched the workout in terms of training benefit (TSS and/or interval structure) or does it not matter and I sould match in any case?

Nope, I agree with you. I’d rather see the planned indoor ride next to actual outdoor ride so I compare if I wish.

It sounds like for you and your preferences, allowing the two rides (the skipped ride and the actual ride) to co-exist is ideal. There are no negative statistics associated with skipping rides, so this allows you a higher clarity when reviewing your past rides.

That being said, some users really don’t like having a Skipped Ride showing up on their plan when they did an alternative equivalent ride outdoors. For some it can be very satisfying and motivating to see all planned rides on your Calendar show as “Completed”, so for that reason, we allow this as an option.

By allowing this option, we can make everyone happy. Those that like to see all of the information side-by-side can choose not to associate the ride, and those that like their planned rides to show “Completed” have that option as well. And whichever way you choose to look at it, all the information is available for analysis.

I hope that clears things up, let me know if you have any further questions!

4 Likes

Thanks for clearing this up, does help!

I would suggest you add the valuable points of your answer to this link. Just in case other users ask themselves the same question.

Am I missing something or is there no way to match an outdoor ride with planned workout IF the outdoor ride was auto-matched to an event?

Or in other words, can you only match an outdoor ride to only one calendar entity (planned workout, activity)?

One outdoor ride can only be matched with one TrainerRoad planned ride, and vice-versa.

So when you enter a race or event beforehand, it’s considered an outdoor ride, correct?

Yep, a manually entered workout is considered an outdoor workout :+1:

1 Like

Got it! Then consider this as a request to match more than one.

Here’s my use case:

1. I enter a future event on my calendar (group/charity ride, “C” priority race, etc.)
  2. I also have a planned workout that day
  3. Day comes and I participate in the event…and pretty much did the planned workout.

I’d like both the planned workout and the event to be matched. Limiting it to one, leaves a remaining item that makes it look like I did two workouts that day…and my OCD won’t have it! :upside_down_face:

Noted, I’ll pass on the suggestion :ok_hand:

Thanks again for taking the time to give your feedback!

1 Like

Apologies for digging up an old thread @Bryce , but it seemed to fit along with the discussions here.

I do the majority of my workouts outdoors, then ‘match’ with the planned trainerroad ride. I had a couple of feature requests which I think would help me (and hopefully others who do the same):

1. Once you have matched a workout you can no longer click on the planned workout to see what the intervals were planned, you just have the option to ‘mark as unplanned ride’. It would be good to have the option take you to a version of the workout with the power targets from that historic FTP (i.e. the ride as it was planned on that day). This seems strange as if you don’t ‘associate rides’ then you can still click on the workout details to view it. This would be really useful when looking back at previous workouts.

2. As above, when reviewing previous rides it would be useful to be able to link directly from the workout page to the planned workout (when you are looking through past rides, rather than in calendar view)

3. In past rides I find it useful to review previous occasions that I have done the same workout. As my ride names get pulled through from Strava/Garmin I cannot search for previous occasions I did a workout (and would prefer not to rename them to the Trainerroad workout title as my Strava titles often reference something that helps jog my memory about a particular ride. Would it be possible that once you ‘associated with’ it added the name of the workout somewhere it could be searched for while filtering in past rides.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed feature request!

Now that we have the abilitiy to complete structured workouts outside, we have some ideas on ways that we can improve the interface in a way that makes it easier to understand the source workout. While not a priority at the moment, your suggestions are all things that we plan to address one way or another in the future :+1:.

1 Like