I’ve whittled my list down to two essentials:
- Garmin Edge 520 for capturing outdoor rides (power, cadence, speed sensors)
- TrainerRoad for structured training, controlling Kickr, and (some) analysis
Absolutely need those two.
After those we come to the (somewhat optional) supporting cast of tech players:
- Strong app for strength training
- Garmin Connect for syncing workouts (TR too) and tracking things like tire mileage
- RideWithGPS (free) account to download turn-by-turn routes for group rides (our club has a paid account)
- Strava private segments in case I forget to hit lap button on outside training rides
- Veloviewer for quickly searching activities to find things like “all rides >3 hours and intensity above 80%” and then Strava segment searches like “all the rides with climbs >1 mile and between 4-6% grade”
- TrainingPeaks to measure aerobic decoupling
- Strava is mostly about seeing all the awesome rides that friends are doing. And the TR podcast and forum for all things training.
And then as the credits roll, we get to things like Apple Watch series 4, Garmin speed sensor, Stages power and cadence sensor, Varia radar, Aria digital scale, MyFitnessPal because Fitbit can’t get its syncing act together, Wahoo fitness app for Kickr updates and because Wahoo adds unsupported convenience features (Erg Speed Sim) that require launching Wahoo app before TR, Garmin HR sensor, Wahoo HR sensor, MacBook Pro laptop, about to be free TrainingPeaks account, etc, etc.