What Sleep Are You Getting?šŸ˜“

I am definitely sleep deprived at the moment.

5 year old is an early riser.

6 week old is just about starting to develop a pattern.

Iā€™m up 2-3 times a night for nappies and normally out of bed for the day by 6am. A few nights ago we got 5 hours without being disturbed which was amazing.

1 Like

@artyhardiwick (et al. with lil kids), I remember your pain:

5 Likes

Trying my best to sleep well. I go to bed so I have 8.5h from when I hit my bed to when my alarm goes off, but I take very long to fall asleep. Wake about the time my alarm is due to go off.

Consider time crunch plans
Worked for me with an hour newborn

I read something the other day that I actually tried to apply back in 2008-2010 when I was actually kinda fast. Idā€™ like to credit the coach and quote it verbatim, but I canā€™t relocate the recommendation so Iā€™ll just paraphrase:

Try to add an additional hourā€™s sleep for every 10 hours/week of training. So 10hrs/wk = +1 hours, 15 hrs/wk = + 1.5 hours, 20hrs/wk = +2 additional hours per night. I know it sounds simplistic, and I canā€™t reduce my best-ever performance at that time to any single training manipulation, but I can tell you that I seldom, if ever, got sick or injured during my higher-volume training blocks (which, for the record, never exceeded 15 hours/week).

14 Likes

Have you heard of the Oura ring? Might be worth looking into if you are looking for a ā€œwear it forget about itā€ sleep tracker. Iā€™ve only had mine for a week so far, but seems like it will be a great tool as it begins to collect more data. As a bonus, it also measures resting HR, HRV, body temp, and respiratory rate.

2 Likes

Just started up with SSB low volume again. Supporting my wife to get back into her own fitness routine too so we are taking turns.

1-1.5hrs 3 times a week seems about right given where we are with the new little one.

1 Like

During the working week I get between 7-7.5hrs, sometimes only 6.5 during the summer when I train longer into the night. I need to be up at 5am for work. On weekends I donā€™t set an alarm to train so I sleep and wake whenever my body is ready and then go out and train. My hours on weekends doing this can vary between 8 and up to almost 12hrs if Iā€™ve had a big training week!

Iā€™m a solid sleeper. As soon as my head hits the pillow Iā€™ll be asleep within 30seconds. But once Iā€™m awake in the morning, thatā€™s it, I need to get up!

Have kids they said - itā€™ll be rewarding they said
The last one is actually 445 not 545 as we crossed a Timezone for one night :upside_down_face:

About 6.5hrs for me

A recent TED Talks.

3 Likes

7+ if I train early in the morning during the week, 8+ otherwise. If there was a figure like FTP showing my sleep potential, Iā€™d be way up there in Z/kg.

I like to get about 8 hours a night

It seems that I might be the only one sleeping 9 hours everynight and 10h after big rides. I feel That I donā€™t recover properly if I sleep less.

2 Likes

Between 7.5 and 8.5, depending on when my daughter kicks me out of bed. During intense training weeks I need up to an hour more. The long runs on Sunday sometimes require another 30 minute nap in the afternoon.

5-6.5 hours a night. go to bed 11pmā€¦ish and get 4:45-5amā€¦ishā€¦feel great most of the times but i do get to sleep in unitl 6:30 twice a week:)

My Fitbit says I average 5:30 a week, which has been steadily declining from 6:30 which I was getting 3 months ago. Not sure what has changed but Iā€™m fitter now than Iā€™ve ever been.

I wish my body would sleep more but it just wonā€™t let me. Recently I read the book ā€œThe Sleep Solutionā€ which was really good. It has improved my quality of sleep but not the duration. Iā€™ve always had sleep issues and I continue to work on it, just wish I could get more!

5 to 6 hours of which I estimate 5 to 6 to be deep sleep (only interrupted by the need to p$$) . I am in bed by 10:30 pm and set the alarm for 4:15 am but I am normally awake before the alarm goes off. Once or twice a week I might need a 20 minute power nap during the day.

10:30-7 for me plus a 20 min nap 3x per week and an ā€œuntil I wakeā€ nap 4x per week (usually 60-90 min) so call it 9-9.5 per night. I fall asleep fast and need an alarm Every. Single. Day. I hate that thing!!!

Iā€™m 50 and train 6-8 hrs per week.

I donā€™t know how you guys do it on < 8 hrs per night!

I get between 6-7 hours during the week and might get 8 hours on the weekend. I train around 5-6am every weekday morning. I know I need more sleep but getting to bed by 9pm is next to impossible.