What tires are you digging right now?

For CX I really liked riding Challenge Grifos on muddier/grassier CX-like terrain (I ride mostly mixed terrain, gravel, and road). Something like the Panaracer Gravel King MUD tires (come in 33mm), Donnelly PDX, or similar may work well. Think wider spaced knobs, slightly taller or more aggressive.

Road race - S-Works turbo 26mm tubeless
TT - S-Works Turbo cotton 26mm clincher with latex tubes
Training - I’ll switch between the S-Works tubeless, S-Works Turbo cotton and Vittoria Pavé 27mm. I’ve stock piled them!!!
Winter - Conti 4Seasons or Schwalbe Marathon Ice tyres.

I run WTB Nano 40s on my gravel bike.

I initially got them for the tread pattern and size (the biggest I could fit), but I ended up really liking the round profile.

1 Like

Road: Clement LCV 25s

Gravel: Clement X’Plor MSO 36s

CX: Clement PDX tubs, Clement MXP tubs, and Vittora Terreno Dry tubeless.

like @Jonathan mentioned in the podcast, not a huge fan of the LAS for CX.

Road (Tri):
Vittoria Corsa Speed G+, 23c, latex tubes
I ride indoors mostly but I’ll venture outside for some long rides and of course tri races.
My local roads are pretty bad and I’ve only gotten one flat while training with these tires (about 1,000 miles).

They are a bitch to mount and I will be retiring these tires after my last race in two weeks. Going back to GP4000.

I tried Continental GP 4000 II, but kept getting pinch flats (6 in 2 months) even when trying different pressures. Went to Continental Gatorskins and haven’t had any issues at all.

2 Likes

Compass extralight for road & gravel, as wide as the bike permits (so 35mm Bon Jon on the road-ish bike). Takes a while to get the pressure right for a given rider & terrain, but never managed to find something that even come close in overall “feel” (subjective combination of comfort/feel/speed/weight).

1 Like

Just bought the Schwalbe Pro 25mm for my road bike, however I believe they are not tubeless. Seeing someone so conscious as you Nate having those gives me great relief and confidence on the purchase. My Focus Cayo road bike came with Schwalbe Lugano originally and only had one flat after 2500 miles on them, thats why I stick to Schwalbe in a Continental world. Any advice as to inflation? I am a 6 foot and 192 pounds with a hill race coming up and would like to try things, thanks.

For MTB, Continental world and advocate. Mountain King 2.2 Front & Rear tubeless.

Keep the great work! Love the podcast

25mm Giant Race 0 tubeless on Flo 60 and 90.
Very fast and really nice transition from tire to rim. Looking forward to playing with pressures on the Queen K.

Road - Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST 28c - on a side note I feel like a lot of people don’t even realize how good of tires they make now. When Vitoria was making their road tires, they were terrible…now Hutchison is making them to Mavic spec and they are really good! :ok_hand:t3:

Gravel - Mavic Allroad Pro UST 40c

Aggressive XC - Maxxis Griffin EXO 2.3
Tame XC - Maxxis Aspen EXO 2.25 and the Rekon Race

Trail/Enduro - there are three combos I love and have as much fun on all three, they all wear out fast, but deliver the most amazing traction!

1. Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5/DHR2 2.4 MaxxGrip - usually I run the DH Casing tires at 1255/1295g each.
  2. WTB Vigilante 2.5/Judge 2.4 Tough High Grip - faster rolling than the Maxxis combo, surprisingly and really good grip in loose stuff, they we don’t after only a week in Whistler/Squamish.
  3. Mavic Charge XL front /Quest XL rear - I call these tires “Gummy Bears” because the knobs are soft and sticky like fresh gummy bears. A day and a half at the TDS Enduro and I had to replace the set, but they are Velcro on any terrain!
1 Like

Gravel

I am fairly impressed with my Kenda Flintridge 120TPI tires. I ride them a lot on hard pack, sand, pavement. They hook up (surprisingly) well. The 120TPI is durable too.

1 Like

Currently I am using Continental GP 4000II (25C) on my road bike and they have performed very well except for one small puncture from glass at the very tail end of my last GranFondo (deflated after finishing).

For the next season, I am planning to go tubeless, but not sure if my Giant P-R2 rims (2014 Giant TCR Road bike) support a tubeless setup? I suspect yes, but would like to be sure. I would use Schwabe Pro One. Anybody knows for sure?

I have only one bike and I use Bontrager R4 320 700c Hard Case Lite Clincher. Fantastic rolling and no flats up to now. I also used Victoria Corso G+ but Bontrager has better rolling and puncture protection. I am so happy with it.

I’m really liking the 28mm Hutchinson Sector tubeless tyres at the moment. I completed a Land’s End to John O’Groats ride on them recently (end to end across Britain - 980 miles in 9 days) and they were faultless. They have great grip, they are pretty fast and are pretty resilient. They’re not quite as fast as Schwalbe Pro Ones or Hutchinson Fusion 5s, but they’re damn close and can deal with bad road surfaces much better.
Another plus, although I guess this is more a function of the rim-tyre combination than just the tyre, is that they set up really easily tubeless (I can get them seated on my Stan’s Avion rims with just a track pump) and they are easy to get off the rim if you do puncture and have to stick a tube in

I use GP4000 IIs year round on both bikes. Both are 23c.

I’ve had good experiences with some cheaper schwable tires that I can’t think of the name of but my confidence in the bike went up by several kph through most corners after swapping to the GP4000.

Of course the gp4000 has its downsides and in several sets I’ve only managed to get one tyre down to the wear limit before putting it in the bin. I’ve even had a brand new one that had to go in the bin as it kept slicing open tubes on me!

I’ve got my eyes on the Hutch Fusion 5 11Storm to replace the Turbos that came on my new bike (once they wear out)

I only really use my roadie on the trainer. It currently has a trainer tyre on there.

MTB - Enduro
Summer - Front - Maxxis DHF 2.3 Max Terra 3C EXO
Summer - Rear - Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Max Terra EXO

Winter - Front - Maxxis Shorty 2.3 Max Terra 3C EXO 2.3
Winter - Rear - Maxxis HR2 2.3 Max Terra EXO 2.3

Or a combo of the above. I’ve run the DHF with HR2 out back, HR2 front and rear, Ardent front and rear etc.

#maxxisforlifeyo :smile:

1 Like

TT BIke

Continental Supersonic 20mm

Road Bike

Continental GP4000II 23mm

Have you tried the Cotton? Thoughts on those compared to Turbo?

Road bike: Conti GP 4000II - 25s
TT bike: Conti GP TT - 23 front, 25 rear

Love this site for evaluation

2 Likes