What tires are you digging right now?

I am trying to make Schwalbe Pro One tubeless work but they are trying my patience

Agreed for AZ.

I was running the AR 2.2 up front with the ikon 2.2 rear for years and have since switched to the Aspen 2.25 fr. It doesn’t hook up as well as the AR, but hooks up better and seems to roll so much better than the ikon. I have been debating on trying the AR up front with the aspen rear.

I had trouble getting some Schwalbe Pro Ones to mount on one set of rims and ended up taking them to a bike shop - lots of wasted CO2. (And I don’t recommend the Topeak Joe Blow Tubeless track pump because it releases air at a disappointingly slow rate.) However, these tires mount easily on Stan’s NoTubes ZTR Alpha 400 rims and Flo Cycling rims.

I concur, mostly! I have been running the S-Works Turbos on both road bikes since 2015. Excellent gription :smile: in both dry/wet and more importantly wet downhill (Taiwan is very mountainous :mountain: ). They do seem to wear quicker. As for punctures, I have literally gone entire years w/out a puncture. The worst was destroying a brand new tire on day 1 when i hit a razor blade.

1 Like

Conti Attack & Force for training/group rides (23 front/25 rear, #aerogains)

Vittoria Corsa w/ Silica Latex tubes for racing

GP4000 IIS 25mm for a race day - thinking of 28mm, but on the fence for a quite awhile now. I see many around race and ride these, but…
Vittoria Rubino Pro (older version) 25mm for training days.
Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 2.25 for XC.

Does anybody know or have heard if a 28mm tyre on a deep dish rim negates the aero benefits? I have heard people mentioning a specific rim that is “optimised” for 25mm.

Just to add to same question, beside aero effects, are there larger lateral movements on taller tire? Especially sprinting, or pedaling off saddle, etc, where lateral forces are greater.

I ran Maxxis ikons 2.2” 3C max speed last season. As long as conditions were dry I loved loved them. They felt fast. Unfortunately even a little moisture in the ground and I lost all confidence. I was thinking of switching over to the conti race kings this year. Anyone have any experience with them?

Road → Continental Grand Prix 5000. 28mm.
Gravel → Schwalbe G One AllRound 35? 38? I can’t remember.
Commuter → Forte Gotham 35’s.

Highly recommend the Panaracer gravel king SKs - in either 35 or 38s. they tend to measure wider. I cross-compared with Riddlers, and the outside knob profile sold me - the continuous GK knobs are great for cornering , are highly predictable, and confident on road.

Hmm, interesting. I’ve been strongly considering the Vittoria Terreno Dry as my next tire, but I’ll also look closer at these. I just want something that rolls fast on the road, because I still ride my gravel bike on pavement quite a bit too.

1 Like

Yeah, for me these have been the perfect tire for mixed rides and I put them on my winter bike for mostly roads. I also have the smooth profile 32s which roll a little faster on pavement, but are only preferred for the smoothest gravel. Descents on those can get a little dicey. With the knobby versions I really liked the cornering behavior on road - more confidence allowed me to take some curves faster and to lean in more. Also, no punctures thus far with a couple of hundred miles in them.

There are lots of great tires these days though. A good time to be alive. ha!

1 Like

I’m trying to narrow down the grippiest tire for cornering…
I know people talks about rolling resistance, but does that even equate to a great grip?
Does the softest compound corner the best?

I currently have Michellin Power Competition and I love that tires, It’s a step up from the GP4000 II in term of grip and rolling resistance.

Anyone knows where I can get more tire grip comparisons?

Ditto on how scary the Vittorias can be when cornering…

The S-Works turbo cotton 26mm is the best, grippiest tire I’ve ever used while cornering. I pair them with a latex tube – super plush, fast and tight through corners.

The downside is they are not super durable. Set your expectation at about 500 miles before they’ll start to give. I plan on using them for early season crits before swapping them out for Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 28s for the rest of the summer. Those are my all-summer-long-road-race-and-ride tires.

3 Likes

Or a hair dryer :slightly_smiling_face:

Road:

Schwalbe Pro 1 Tubeless 25 (biggest I can run on my Dogma)
S Works Turbo 26 (training set up w/ tubes)
Conti Competition Tubular 25 (race set up)

TT:
Zipp Tangente 23 in the front (w/ tube), Zipp Tangente 26 Tubular in the back

CX:
I’m hardly a CX racer, but i used Donnelly MXP’s front and rear my first season

Gravel:
Schwalbe G One 35, I think

Road: Continental 5000 (tube) 25cm

Gravel: Schwalbe G-One Allround 38cm. Once these are worn out, I’m going to switch to G-One Bite to get a little more traction when cornering

On the road I have stuck with Schwalbe One for most of my cycling. 4500 miles out of one set with just a single (pinch) flat. Ended up binning them as they started to bulge slightly in a couple of places.

Had a brief period on GP4000 II (they were ok but the surface got cut up a lot more) and Pro Ones (sidewall cut after 50 miles and a nightmare to fit).

For MTB I have been playing recently in very wet UK woodland on Specialized Storm Control tyres and have to say they blew me away. Going back to more summer type tyres now it’s dry again has been a shock, I reckon the SCs might still be quicker until everything is completely dry and dusty.