What workout did you do today? (2018/2019)

Ramp Test + half of West Vidette -1. About 37min on the trainer, 4 for 4 since bringing baby home.

Possibly underassessed the ramp test for obvious reasons; mentally wasn’t able to focus as well, so… but, probably for the best that I don’t set some new astronomical FTP and try to train to it given the circumstances. Still, a 6+% FTP bump from SSBMV2, total of 13% up this season; 3.73 W/kg for the new (second time) daddy. Time to see if there’s any chance of holding a LV build together… if not, no big deal…

4 Likes

Well, that was disappointing. No change in FTP after 2nd half of General Build. Felt good going in, thought I could scrape out at least a few. I wish I never knew about the 19:30 mark in the test. It’s like I dropped off a cliff…Did Lazy Mountain -1 after

2 Likes

Totally agree on the 19:30 mark. I feel like I’ve subconsciously held myself back after my last few assessments.

1 Like

I even tried covering a clock and the top half of the laptop for the test, but sneaked a peek at around the 18:15 mark and it all went to shit after that. Have to be mentally prepared to do at least a 20:30 next time

3 Likes

I have a ramp test on the schedule today. I am only barely learning about this 19:30 thing…

oh-no-im-doomed

3 Likes

You see nothing…Go till you blow

1 Like

I put tape on the screen so that I can’t see the time or the power!

Of course, if you’re familiar with the workout text you’ll roughly know when 19:30 comes around…

1 Like

The information that you saw is not what appears

2 Likes

No familiarity at all, thank goodness. I’ve only done the ramp test once.

@pwandoff ha! What information :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I project via Apple TV! Guess it’s time for black paint :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well, that didn’t go well. Overall a 5 watt increase (199 to 204) in 12 weeks of consistent training. I had manually increased my FTP to 207 and didn’t even hit that point on the ramp test. Nonetheless, I have been completing all my recent workouts at 207 after getting that average on Lamarck. Oh well, looks like I’m not too good at the ramp tests. I actually feel like my ftp is closer to 210 so we will see how this week goes for the start of general build.

It makes me feel better that I held about 233 watts for 20 minutes up an outdoor climb a week and a half ago, which is my highest ever. So I think TR is helping me, just not translating over to testing.

4 Likes

VO2 efforts were very manageable. I’ll omit ILT drills in future workouts, I didn’t know if I was doing them wrong, I always had tension on the chain but even in the easiest gear it always slowed down at the bottom of the stroke … just felt very choppy.
Form sprints were fun. Whenever I see VO2 max my mind automatically thinks “empty the tank” so I shifted up two gears and spun up as high as 137 at the first interval only for my virtual power to lag and saw I overshot by 100+ watts. All I had to do was shift up ons gear and dial it in around 110-120 rpm. It’s kinda surprising how much more power you can eek out by just spinning up. Seems like a very useful tool to reduce muscle fatigue.
Also pleased to see my heart rate dropping quick during rests

4 Likes

Carillion +1 this morning.

Late start for me, I even ate before this workout and I couldn’t honestly say if I/it felt any different to my usual fasted sessions.

Eitherway, it was a nice, simple session that allowed me to do more focused work in and out of the drops and play around with cadence.

5 Likes

Love fasted workouts. Belly full of food makes me feel sluggish and I can’t seem to find the benefits as well … I might be singing a different tune with anaerobic workouts

2 Likes

Its the only workout I turn off the text for. I know the plan… go until my legs explode. It’s not a workout I need added distraction for.

1 Like

Did “Bashful +6”, which is actually a little cheeky one. I don’t feel like I have time for 25 minutes of endurance at the ends of workouts like this (in the Sustained Power Build Plan), so I skip over them. I’ll be getting that kind of stuff in overdose soon with brevets.

1 Like

VO2max 5x2min @115%

3 Likes

Did not think that I was going to finish all those sprints but I did. And now I’m off to cook dinner for the family… :joy:

EDIT: Better image uploaded.

5 Likes

recovery week, Fletcher today (90mins) felt good HR was a little high for the power, but seems like my body requires re-calibration after a completely off day like I had yesterday

Black (with 3x60 secs just above ftp to keep legs going).
After 5 weeks beating myself on SSB2, recovery week feels so sweet. I know lot of discussion about benefit of 60mins endurance/z2 rides but my goodness - mentally they are great even if not much physical

1 Like