What workout did you do today? (2018/2019)

Back in the saddle after sickness and Christmas, still coughing up a small amount…thought it was all good until I was interrupted by the family. A good hour in though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is my rest week before the Ramp Test. As the weather has been pretty good (no rain) I’ve been doing outdoor riding in Zones 1/2. Feels good to be in the cool fresh air.

Did eclipse on a stages spin bike, tried to keep it steady at 90%, since it’s tough to do the gradual changes in sweet spot with a spin bike. RPE was quite high since it was 74 degrees in the gym, my HR was in the high 160s where usually I’m in the low 150s for this type of effort. I do the offset for stages but I always end up wondering how it measures up to my Hammer for consistency

1 Like

Merced +1 - 135% 40 seconds on 20 seconds off - hard but manageable, last set was pretty rough

8 Likes

Carpathian Peaks for me today at the start of Sustained Power Build:

This is my second go at Carpathian Peaks as I needed to restart SPB because work had interfered too much with it. This second run was much better than the last time I did Carpathian Peaks. Admittedly my FTP is 5 W lower than that time, but it was overall much easier. I put this down to (1) better cardiovascular fitness in general and (2) watching the TrainerRoad workout in Zwift which is more enjoyable than just working to the TR plot. At the end of the second period I was a little annoyed when the power dropped because I was enjoying reeling some random Zwifter in :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For some reason I couldn’t really get myself on the trainer this week, instead I went outside on the mountain bike today and just did whatever my legs and lungs let me.

Picking up the TR training on Sunday I guess with Spanish Needles (-3)

5 Likes

Ebbetts today. Still getting used to the new FTP. 3rd sweet spot interval would’ve been at FTP for my old setting. Thought about it part way through, that despite the periodic power spikes, felt pretty sustainable. Nice to feel the improvement. I’m still a bit anxious about Kaweah over the coming weekend. Looks a lot harder.

6 Likes

Antelope -4. Started off with a mild disaster, I paused to adjust my fan and this happened!

So after a brief interlude I started again and had a good run at it, I felt that the first block was super easy so completed the second and third at 105% and the last at 110%. I’m hoping for a decent FTP bump on my next test :slight_smile:

5 Likes

5k Base Run

2800m Base interval swim (3x 400m)

2 Likes

I was apprehensive going into Spanish Needle - 3 today given its reputation and after a big jump in FTP (+44) after last FTP test. Did it to the best that the Tacx Vortex could handle (slow ramp up and down) and made it through with skipping any intervals or breaks. As Arnie once said…Hasta la Vista, baby

5 Likes

Mary Austin -1 tonight, instead of the standard variation. I knew that the standard would have been too much for my current state of fitness, and the new handbike. All ok, except that I dialed down the intensity of the last interval, for not to blow myself completely.

3 Likes

Diamond Valley Road Race + 2 - had to do this one early and didn’t fuel well for it as a result. Really ran out of gas towards the end and broke on the last set

4 Likes

Not long finished Leconte as part of SSB2 :raised_hands:

Even felt able to bump the final pair of intervals to 105% and razzed the final surge as I heard Chad tell Jonathan about it impacting the next workout :shushing_face:

Time for a cup of coffee and a mince pie.

5 Likes

My first 2hr session Juneau -1. I need to sort out my playlists

2 Likes

Nice, tough outdoor gravel ride

3 Likes

I was back in the pool as well. 6 x 200 for me.

Mount Field later.

4 Likes

Coming back after a break.

Alternating aero and upright position with the intervals, dropped the intensity after an hour then warmed down.

3 Likes

Another day outside in the snow. Who ever thought riding at 6mph could be so hard!

13 Likes

Tallac +3, again on the stages spin bike, skipped the usual Friday Pettit yesterday. Due to my personal challenges with holding power on a spin bike, I ended up doing 92-94% on the intervals (in erg mode each set would average 90%). It’s tough to tell how I’m doing because the rpe was pretty low today but my HR was high because of the gym environment (72 degrees). Ended up with 141tss, over the 135tss as the workout was designed

5 Likes

Ethan Allen followed by a 30 minute cooldown. I’m taking a couple of weeks off before I jump back into HVSSB so just cherry picking workouts that look interesting for now.

6 Likes