What's in your home gym?

In 2020 I plan on doing a lot more strength training, specifically bodyweight/core/kettlebell/free weight kind of stuff (basically bodyweight plus a bit of equipment). I’m not going to be doing any olympic lifts or anything like that.

What do you have in your home gym? What do you find yourself using all the time and what was a waste of money? Currently I have my riprow, a few small free weights (2x3lbs, 1x10lbs, 2x20lbs), and some bands (I honestly only use the heavy one). I would be happy to spend a few hundred dollars to get a few nice pieces that would really help me maximize my at-home strength training.

Right now I’m thinking:
Several kettle bells
A pull-up bar?
A simple bench?

What else? I’m reviewing several apps/programs for at-home strength training (Volt, keep, nike, convict, etc), but have yet to see a good list of stuff to invest in.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I have a safety cage with a lat pulldown, dip attachment and simple bench that I bought years ago. Great for squats, bench press, etc. I also have a hex deadlift bar. Various dumbells and kettlebells. Various elastic bands. However, you can do alot a good selection of dumbells and kettlebells and a bench.

Thanks. I’ve got no room for any sort of cage, so I’m thinking maybe a bench and some weights that I can store under it in the corner when not in use. Also potentially a moveable pull-up bar that I can take on and off the door frame.

I’ve got a TRX setup. I usually do strength training with weights at the gym for about 2-3 months in winter (today was day one) and then use TRX twice a week for maintenance the rest of the year. This year I’m adding some kettle bells as well. Very easy to use, store, and doesn’t cost much. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After reading lots of articles about strength work for cycling it appears that the main movements are going to be deadlifts and squats. So I picked up a simple rack with a straight bar and a hex for deadlift; better to strength building apparently.
Along with a couple of dumbbells, basic bench and a balance board I feel I have most covered.
That said don’t underestimate the value in body weight exercises and a simple resistance band.

i have an olympic bar and plates I use for deadlifts, TRX straps (a must have!), some dumbbells, a collection of foam rollers, some stretch bands and a Revolution balance board. I can get some adequate strength work and a great core workout with this stuff.

I have a weight bench which I use every single day - as a chair - but i have not used it to lift weights in over a decade.

I did recently end up joining a gym for off season access to squats and some leg machines. I live 300 yards from a Planet Fitness and at $10/mo its a crazy great deal if conveniently located.

Various bikes, trainers, rollers…

Squat rack: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DKN-Squat-Cage-Black-Grey/dp/B00MUSZF0A (similar to this one… branded differently)

Weight bench: https://www.amazon.co.uk/adidas-Flat-Bench-Black-Silver/dp/B007YGLSV8/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=adidas+weight+bench&qid=1575318681&sr=8-7

Olympic bar + ~120kg of plates including a set of settable plates for dealing with awkward half sizes.

Resistance band set (don’t use)

Step (don’t use… but this is as much a space issue)

Large adjustable dumbbell set (given by a clubmate moving house… havent used these for anything yet)

Some packs of foam mats that I have left in the pack. I use these to help protect the floor for deadlifts.

Various yoga/exercise matts.

Various roller/stretching/etc aids. Yoga band. Yoga block.

1 Like

Bench, deadlift cage, free weights, full dumb bell rack. The cage has a pull down bar and I just ordered a hex bar since I also plan on upping my offseason strength training coming up here soon.

Where do you all put these cages? My ‘garage’ is full of bikes!!

1 Like

LOL. So is ours. :slight_smile:

We use a spare bedroom as a workout room.

I have a couple of dumbells 10 kg to 22 kg weight, treadmills, resistance band, elliptical bikes and weight lifting bench for incline and declined press as well as for front and back shoulder with side raises. I have purchased this recently after a lockdown from amazon

I home-built a rack for my Olympic barbell and have 210lbs of plates to go with the 45lb bar. I also have a set of heavy resistance bands, a 35lb KB, and a couple smaller dumbells. So far it’s working out great. I’d love to add 2 more KBs. I do variations of unilateral and bilateral work and keep it simple by really only doing:

• Rows
  • Pushups
  • Deadlift variations
  • Squat variations
  • Accessory work that I do during rest intervals after the big lifts (Spanish squats, terminal knee extensions, overhead press, deadbugs, planks, eccentric single leg squats)

My setup as it currently sits.

2 Likes

I have a weight bench
pull up bar
A set of resistance bands with all door, leg, handles etc
Kettle bells by the pair, 10,20,30,40,50

I haven’t found a need for much else. I would like a squat rack and all that but I’m content with what I have. I like bikes too much and don’t see myself being a powerlifter anytime soon LOL

1 Like

Pull up bar with Olympic Rings for pull ups, dips and other body weight exercises.

1x 20kg, 1x 15kg dumbbell, 1x 16kg kettlebell for single sided shoulder press, Turkish get ups and various squats.

Wahoo Kickr, burpees & jumping jacks for cardio. Pretty much all I need. The only thing I miss is dead lifts but I can live without it at my age.

2 Likes

I’ve got a fair amount of Mirafit stuff which is ‘entry level’, but I’m not looking to be Arnie.

Small power rack - I work out alone, so needed for safe squatting and bench pressing. This one’s 6’ 6" tall

Olympic bar and 100kg plates.
Hex bar for squat imitation
Curling bar (rarely used)
Couple of kettle bells
Couple of slam balls (I use these lots)
Elastic bands - used a lot for warm up and scapular stabilisation work.
TRX fake thingy (rarely use).

I enjoy variety, so as well as regular lifts (overhead press, bench press, squats, deadlifts) I can do lots of other things. I like thrusters and slams with the balls and kettle swings.

The punch bag is mostly for my partner to stop her taking out her frustrations with my trainer obsession on me!

I have quite a number of gym equipments in my home. I have dumbbell, deadlift cage, barbell. free weights, rowers, kettlebells and a bench. The funniest thing is that I got most of them as used gym equipment.

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells
Rage Fitness 10 pound slam ball
Push up bars
Pull up bar
Resistance bands

Here is my home gym, well its in the garage.

20210317_112454

And in the spare room inside my house

8 Likes

Just a kettlebell.

1 Like