What's the Deal with Spirulina?

Good? Bad? Ugly?

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I had to google it :man_shrugging:t2:

This seemed like the most even handed guide

Spirulina is amazing… but skip the powder and get the real stuff. For me, it’s a real performance booster, I won’t say any more other than I really believe in the stuff, it’s really boosted my last two CX seasons. In full disclosure I’m a vegan athlete, I only eat plant based foods, but in my world spirulina is next level for performance, racing, and recovery.

Here’s the VC video on it… My GENUINE Thoughts about RAW Spirulina (My Son Does A Taste Test) - YouTube

1 Like

I take it with chlorella

The real deal isn’t available in Europe…:frowning:

Good: Nutrients, minerals, vitamins, etc., taste
Bad: Cost, benifit
Ugly: Cost

I tried daily use for 3 months after the Vegan Cyclist made a big deal about it in one of his videos. The taste is fine and it MAY have been giving me some nutrients and minerals. HOWEVER, I felt zero benifit in health or performance and at a cost of about $85 a month (can’t remember exactly) I pulled the plug.

Possibly if you are deficient in a vitamin or mineral that SP provides (maybe because VC is vegan) I suspect you could see a benifit. I don’t regret experimenting with the product, but “that’s gonna be a no for me dawg”.

I initially read that as Cholera :open_mouth:

4 Likes

:rofl:glad it isn’t pestilence :wink:

im an sp2 user. to be honest i cant say if it makes me better or not. but what i can say is that as a vegan it makes me worry less. i will add that if something was to happen with my employment situation it would be the first thing i drop.

I want to get into Spirulina too because it appears to have great impact on increasing hemoglobin etc. What are your thoughts on some of the studies that have shown the harmful effects of algae supplementation?

Rhymes with Chlamydia.

I just started using pure spirulina powder and feel good on it. I don’t eat any veggies at all so this makes me feel like I’m getting something at least lol I’ve tried a few and think I like this the best.

I’ve tried the powder from Proteinworks here in the UK (sP2 is unavailable over here).

Main non-performance related observation was how messy it was to use. A very fine talcum-like green powder that didn’t mix particularly well and contaminated everything with difficult to remove green stains. I found it went everywhere despite best efforts to be tidy.

Performance wise I saw no perceived benefit after three to four weeks of regular daily supplementation. I eat pretty well (good balance of macronutrients and decent amount of fruit and vegetables) so perhaps the benefits were harder to identify?

Anecdotally I’ve been told the powder is itself no good due to the process leading to a loss of the majority of the benefits - hence the sP2 frozen product being hailed as more effective? I’m no scientist so have no idea whether this is a logical deduction or not.

I tired the sP2 over a week or so when I was cycling in California earlier this year - tasted really good in a shake with fruit and was easy to mix / no hassle or mess.

I felt like I had LOTS of energy - like being on my A game after a day or so of use, but I ascribed that to the placebo effect plus I was on holiday in California so was already buzzing.

UK product (powder) was not cheap either so I didn’t re-order once the bag was used up.

I’d be intrigued to try the sP2 product over a longer period to properly asses it; if it was available in the UK though.

Dave

https://purefoodsfresh.co.uk/ could this be a good alternative?

1 Like