What's your favorite TrainerRoad workout? Why?

Hardest for me : Leconte so far - but also i have never had a workout where i fist pumped the air and shouted ‘f£ck’ yeah’ so although tough kinda a favourite now!

I love Tallac and Gieger too … really any solid sweet spot sessions are awesome.

2 Likes

I very much like mount field and Carson.

There’s also a nice sense of accomplishment when I can finish the vo2 and over under workouts without having to reduce the intensity.

I have a desire to do some of the old 7dc workouts too. They look tortiously fun and might be a fun way of doing a training block week before a vacation or similar.

2 Likes

i’m thinking exactly he same about 8DC

wanna try it as a special block before my proper training plan for a stage race beings - mainly as an experiment to see how i react to b2b days?

when where you thinking of doing them?

could be fun to start a thread/ get a group going on here?

I havent a specific goal in mind for them right now. We’re very busy with our new daughter and Im taking a few weeks off the bike right now.

We are expecting to travel for a wedding around June so will likley try to do something like that around then (unless we get another record breaking summer in which case there is no way any indoor training will be done).

sure thing

well enjoy and good luck

Love Rendezvous, always lets me know how I’m feeling, and fits in with family life.

New favorite: polar bear +1. Just the right amount of intensity with just the right amount of variety

7 Likes

I really like over/unders because they kick my ass but when I complete them I feel like I’ve done something very productive.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/1262-palisade

1 Like

Some great looking rides here. Thanks for sharing everyone.

One that I like that’s different from what’s been shown above is Xalibu.

4 Likes

First time ever doing a workout with over-/unders - def a new kind of “fun”. as someone has said above though… very satisfying.

Not long off the bike, having done Reinstein.

I’ve done Polar Bear as well. I still feel a sense of pride about it 6 months later!

1 Like

1 Like

There’s several for me…

1. Black Giant 30 (I think it’s now -5). Superb time crunched workout.
  2. Silvertip - another short blast the eels out a big effort in little time.
    3, Backbone - use this a lot in road race build blocks.
    4, Garfield - great for improving power.
1 Like

I did Reinstein yesterday. Such a great ride that really pushes me to limits. I walked into the city afterwards and instead of walking back 15min I had to take an Uber home because of tired legs.

3 Likes

I did Hunter today. Not sure if I ‘love’ it - does anyone really love 3x20s?
3x20 @ sweet spot with 10-minute breaks should be easier than 1 hour at FTP, right?
But you’re often doing that FTP test after a rest week. Your FTP a few weeks into a training plan isn’t the same as your FTP when you’re fully rested!

As for the workout I love to hate: Spanish Needle. That kicks my a$$ so hard.

1 Like

I only have a couple months experience with TrainerRoad, but I’d have to say that my favorite workout so far is Huffaker. For purely mental/psychological/focus reasons, I can’t stand long aerobic workouts on the trainer. I can only reasonably tolerate sweet spot sessions up to about 1:15 - 1:30.

However, despite the pain, VO2 interval workouts keep me focused – while kicking my butt – and seem to fly by. I like Huffaker because it isn’t dead-straight interval repeats . . . there is a build, and there is a relief. You know if you’re dying by interval #4 the intensity is going to start stepping down, which helps you mentally push through.

5 Likes

I’m a fan of this one too. I find it’s good prep for CX racing.

1 Like

My local MTB trails have a couple lengthy series of quick, steep, up and down sections, and it’s perfect training for that too.

This is the favorite so far for me, given I’m new and just reached 2nd week of training :slight_smile:

My favorite rides are Mount Field, Phoenix, Eclipse.

Hardest ones for me are Leconte and Mary Austin, especially when they follow a workout like Darwin :weary: