Which gear do you do your rides in?

I’m on a Kickr and have noticed I really struggle with the longer effort sweet spot workouts (ie. Tallac, Eclipse, Geiger) in the Wahoo recommended small ring middle of the cassette so I’m forced to complete sweet spot workouts in the big ring. The shorter VO2 max efforts though like Clouds Rest of Spanish Needle I can complete in the small ring with no real issue. Is this a limiter of mine that I should be working on? Should I just do the workouts in whatever gear I want? I always do my start of program FTP tests in small ring, but wondering if it would make a difference to my FTP if I did it in big ring?

1 Like

I’m the opposite. I ride small ring, middle of the cassette and sweet spot intervals don’t trouble me, but the microburst workouts give me real grief. I’m ok for the first set or two, but them my legs just have nothing. I haven’t tried them in different gearing though, so I don’t know if that would make any difference.

If you haven’t seen it already, Shane Miller has an excellent video that explains how different gearing behaves in ERG Wahoo Kickr ERG Mode - Does Gear Selection Matter? - YouTube

2 Likes

I have seen that video, which is what prompted me to try different gearing, as I previously assumed all gears were created equal while in ERG mode. I’m able to complete my sweet spot intervals now, but just wondering if I’m masking a weakness by doing this. The video is also helpful in understand there is a difference, but how do I apply that to how we’re training and what our strengths and weaknesses are?

Maybe try doing the microburst intervals in a larger gear and see if that improves? Strange that we have the opposite problem.

1 Like

I use the ERG mode so I am not sure it matters what gear I am in.

Whatever gives me the straightest and quietest chainline

1 Like

Watch the video linked above. The gearing can and does have an impact on the flywheel inertia of the trainer. It is possible for that to transfer into the loading on the body and potentially training adaptations from that.

I use the small ring (34t) and mid cassette to get a lower flywheel inertia, because I do lots of climbing and dirt riding, where the overall rider inertia outside is low. I find it prepares me better than the old fast and high gearing I used to select.

1 Like

Small chainring and mid cassette for me. Keeps flywheel speed and this noise down and I use that for all workouts regardless of plan or goal.

1 Like

I may be in the minority, but I actually try to mix it up a bit. I do probably 65-70% of the intervals in small chainring/mid cassette and the remaining 30-35% in the large chainring and small cog. I can definitely tell a difference and personally find the large chainring subjectively easier.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t matter on an ERG trainer. But in practice it does…

I always use the big ring and half way down the cassette as it gives a degree of inertia that helps you keep steady power on.

1 Like

I face the same issue on my Tacx Neo, does not matter what mode I am in.

I decided use big ring with middle gear on a 53-39. Makes my life easier.

Not sure why a TrainerRoad user needs a small ring anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like