Whiskey does not make you faster

I follow Tempo cyclist from Tasmania and this blog entry combines both subjects

My latest favorite has been Rittenhouse Rye. Great value at about $26 a bottle. Great on its own, or makes a spectacular sazerac or old fashioned.

Need to keep this thread alive…I need to find an old barrel to make this display case.

6 Likes

Lots of good ones in there, eh taylor, eagle rare, blantons, the list goes on and on.

1 Like

Try wineries! I’m out here in Cali and there are a few “Wine Tasting” wineries around here. I was with my wife and some friends one time and decided it would be funny if I tried to buy an old wine barrel from the winery… without hesitation, the wine steward said they coast about $50. and asked "How many was I thinking of buying!! :grinning:

Picked up a bottle of this tonight for a party…super smooth.

A couple of years ago I rode the Highland Trail 550 race. During the starting weekend, which had the Monday as a public holiday, my wife went bike touring on Islay. With racing I wasn’t on my phone very much as not a lot of the route has reception. On the Monday we had a text conversation:

wife: How’s it going?
me: great.
wife: there’s a whisky festival going on here.
me: oh yes?

Anyway for completing the race she bought me a very nice Ardbeg Kelpie single malt :smiley: We’ve still got about 1/4 of the bottle left.

I was just looking a reviving this topic. After a mexican riviera cruise in January (where I drank way too much whisky), I had given up drinking whisky until after race season, well there is going to be no race season this year so might as well indulge.

Oh yeah! My favorite!

A great friend of mine shared this bottle with me on my birthday weekend which was just a few days before my knee replacement surgery. Boss Hog is the best out there!

Colonel Taylor! Nice choice. Writing from Canada (Ontario) - both C.Taylor and Blanton’s extremely difficult to get hands on up here. Right now, there isn’t a single bottle in the entire province! Seriously.

On the Scotch side of things, I tend towards Speyside stuff. Recently Balvenie Double Wood and Caribbean Cask are my go-to’s as well as Aberlour.

3 Likes

Lol, I was sure we were looking at the stitches CAUSED by the whisky.

2 Likes

Some of my favorites of late. Certainly not helping me train for the Tahoe Trail 100.

2 Likes

This thread needs a bump! What are you guys drinking?

I’ve very much a whiskey beginner but my untrained nose is enjoying a bottle of Eagle Rare. I’ll take any logical next steps?

Cant say I’ve had that but it looks to be pretty good stuff from Buffalo Trace. Maybe a Frey Ranch Single Barrel or 1792 might be a good choice?

1 Like

I like to peel the labels off and put them on my tool box. These are the last two I finished up (highly recommend either/both if you can find them):

That High West Dram in particular… just amazing.

I also have another slightly different Rye from them, not quite as good as the Limited Engagement, but still pretty damn good.

1 Like

I’m a big High West fan, good stuff.

2 Likes

Lochranza Distillery, Isle of Arran. I didn’t imbibe as there was a long ways to go. But later that day…

1 Like

I’ll gladly slow down for Pappy!