Who has taken the plunge? (Dropped TrainingPeaks, etc.)

There is only one reason i keep TP. That is to be able to do my TR workouts on the road by creating in TP and using planned workouts feature on Wahoo. Please bring headunit support to the outdoor feature!

1 Like

Been thinking about this more and more as my TP subscription is almost up. I think Iā€™ll keep it another year until TR supports hrTSS, while it does come close to actual TSS, I donā€™t like logging in to ā€œestimate stressā€, especially for my commutes on a bike without a PM. I still want the TSS scored though, as itā€™s important. Now Iā€™m so far behind that my rolling TSS numbers in TR arenā€™t correct because of the requirement for manual entries. TP it is for at least 12 more months.

I have gone the opposite. And decided not to renew my TrainerRoad account. After constant reduction in the ability of the software to work effectively with my trainer on either the Android or PC platforms, a realisation that my Wahoo Element can do the job and better analytical tools from TodaysPlan I just donā€™t see the value any more.

I have a free TP account which gives me hrTSS for rides where I donā€™t have power, and also pace based TSS for running and swimming. I built a Performance Chart in Excel with ATL, CTL and Form so I just enter the TSS manually into this each day anyway. Allows me to track TSS either aggregated or by individual sport. Thought about adding in sleep and HRV, but decided it was too much hassle for not enough value. If anybody launches an analytics tool which can stuck in all the data sources out there (temperature, power, HR, HRV, weight, sleep, nutrition, etc) and use machine learning to then tailor plans and recovery to the individual that would be amazingā€¦

So the only thing Iā€™m actually paying a subscription for is TR, plus a one time payment for HRV4Training. Have a Strava account which I donā€™t really use for any kind of analysis but nice to stay in touch with friends and see what people are up to as I donā€™t really use any other kind of social media. Also occasionally fun comparing segment PRs with buddies (if itā€™s a meaningful one like a hill). And sometimes do some post-race Strava sleuthing using Flyby to look at things like where the break went, how hard people were working, etc (assuming enough people are on Strava to make it meaningful).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve also dumped TP now, TR and WKO4+ does everything I need.

I have the fee version of TP, as thatā€™s where my coach sends me the workouts for specific events that Iā€™m training towards. I export those into the trainer road workout creator (very simple process) and do my workouts there if Iā€™m going to be riding inside.

For analysis, Iā€™ve always used Golden Cheetah.

May I ask what trainer you are using?

I like the screen of the PMC from themagicspanner.

Paul

Cheers dude.

Mike

Me. I used Todayā€™s Plan and Training Peaks. Now only TR

I am on Strava but only to see how many Kma my bikes have done. Strava has its down sides

I am on Zwift tonuse occasionally.

Does anyone know if itā€™s possible to sync Zwift/TR/Polar > Strava > Golden Cheetah? And if so, how I go about doing it? To clarify, Iā€™d like for GC to pull the data from Strava automatically. Thanks!

Have you checked out intervals.icu for analytics?

4 Likes

Have you checked out WKO? Iā€™ve played around with intervals.icu and its a nice free option, but analytics are really basic compared to WKO. I actually prefer TR over intervals.icu for simple post-ride analysis. Anything beyond simple analytics and Iā€™m in WKO. Going to continue with TR and WKO.

I have gone the opposite way to the title. i.e dropped TrainerRoad and keeping TrainingPeaks. I also use WKO. I might come back to TR after winter and next season, it depends what comes out of the development pipeline.

1 Like

Apologies if this has been covered alreadyā€¦is there a way to import TR calendar into TP?

No, that is not possible.

It has been requested.

1 Like

What analytics are you getting from TR?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve used Golden Cheetah and WKO4. I downloaded the trial of WKO5 but honestly didnā€™t get into it much before it expired. I like intervals.icu because I feel like itā€™s 90% of what I need and itā€™s web based so I can use it while Iā€™m drinking my coffee at work.

Just curious, what do you do in WKO4 that you canā€™t in intervals.icu?

1 Like

After a ride I open my phone and use TR for the basics:

• avg power
  • TSS
  • IF
  • visually review compliance to power zone target
  • look at specific times in power-duration curve and where I did those on a map

For a web-based tool intervals.icu is very smooth scrolling and interactive, however I only get 2 of the 5 things above. And I keep getting inconsistencies on TSS between intervals.icu on the one hand, and TrainerRoad/WKO5 on the other. And yes my FTP is the same on all 3 platforms. To his credit, intervals.icu founder David Tinker is responsive and has fixed other things based on my feedback.

To name a few, searching for specific workouts and a lot of ā€œcomparison and trendingā€ analysis to help understand previous training and determine when Iā€™m done with a training block. As mentioned above for the basics I believe TrainerRoad is visually better and I prefer it on both mobile and desktop. That said, both TR and Intervals are missing things Iā€™d like to have and that is where WKO5 steps in.

2 Likes

I do just about the same 5 things as you, and also look at some HR metrics, and do them all on intervals.icu. I just checked the math for a few rides and both IF and TSS are calculating correctly, so I donā€™t know why they wouldnā€™t for you.

I donā€™t mean to keep plugging intervals.icu but itā€™s free and I can use it on both my work and home PCs, so Iā€™ve been doing more of that and less Golden Cheetah lately.

1 Like