Who’s in the sick house?

I’m back in the saddle again personally. Best wishes to you all for a speedy recovery of your own.

4 Likes

I won’t be going upstairs until the Centre for Disease Control give the all clear, but I’ve had baby on my chest all day. Poor bub has fever all day, probably also Norovirus.

I’ve survived unscathed last years outbreak, so maybe I’m immune…odds are Ill be taken out part of next week though.

…If I can just get Cumberland plus a brick run tomorrow… :wink:

1 Like

Turned out to be a nasty stomach bug! On the plus side, I’ve lost 4 pounds :sweat_smile:

Wishing everyone good health and no more whammies!

1 Like

where’s the option for already got sick? Spent my Thanksgiving with a terrible cold with a lot of congestion… ended up lasting a week and a half. Just started feeling back to normal toward the end of last week… just noticed this thread was created a couple weeks back… so i guess my choice would have been sick, not training.

1 Like

Nope. Sick as a dog again :roll_eyes:

Where’s the option for “was sick, just got over it”? That should probably replace “not sick yet” to get all the winter states.

1 Like

I think I’ve got it beat now, I did Baxter -2 on Monday after work and I felt surprisingly good during it. I am having some reservations as to how deep to dive back in right away, I certainly don’t want to get sick again right now! I have a VO2 max workout scheduled tonight but I think I’ll push it out till next week and continue with less intensity for the rest of this week.

Got the stomach bug too, luckily they don’t normally last as long but holy heck does it like to leave as much of mark as possible.

Last few years i have been lucky that most times i have been sick are usually right before my scheduled rest week. Not sure how many more days this will linger. Will figure out soon if itll be Friday or Saturday before doing any kind of activity.

Feeling a lot better. Traditional Base I Mid Volume isn’t easy riding on the trainer like I hoped, but my ability to nail the workouts has improved even while the workout durations have increased, and it has probably been the right plan while I recuperate. Plus it turns out there was a lot of stuff on NetFlix I wanted to watch.

1 Like

I’m feeling a lot better but Mary Austin still beat me and I abandoned half way through - hoping the christmas break will allow full recovery ahead of ramp test for sustained power build in jan

Same here! I’ve lost 6 days of training because of lingering weakness (and my stupid schedule). Looking to get back at it today. Fortunately, I generally don’t experience much drop off in fitness when I take breaks. The weight loss part was an added blessing - my w/kg are continuing to creep up, while my ftp grows.

Funny coincidence re: getting sick right before your rest week. I wonder if that’s a cumulative effect of hard training? For me, I was hitting it hard on TR, and also rock climbing a bunch with my wife to satisfy her discipline. My sleep was poor and my TSS pretty high. I think I weakened my immune system a bit to allow the virus to get through.

Hoping you recover quickly, and get back at it soon!

1 Like

Well, now that it’s winter here in Australia, who else is joining me in the sick house? After about 4 months of activity, I guess my body really wants an off-season. 2 weeks completely off with a chest infection and I was just getting into a good base rhythm for a charity ride in October!! Eugh…

2 Likes

My wife has the flu.
I’m holding off on all exercise in the hopes I can ward it off.
50km mtb ride on Sunday and starting a new job Monday - kind of thinking 50km mtb might not be a great idea.

1 Like

Right there with you. 1 week into my chest infection but the antibiotics seem to be working.
Thankfully i got my A race out of the way before i got sick. 4 day MTB stage race 2 weeks past now, so i can recover and rebuilt properly

1 Like

Just come off of a nasty case of a viral flu. In bed for 4 days, back on the bike after 7 with an easy Pettit. Feeling bleh today so hoping its not coming back for round 2!!

1 Like

Sick Season 2 Update

Time to ressurect this thread methinks, with people stifling coughs all around me, it’s just a matter of time!

:joy:

• Sick, not training
  • Not sick
  • Sick, still training
  • Soon to be sick

0 voters

1 Like

Just started getting the onset of a head cold – sniffles, scratchy throat (probably the worst I’ve had it for a good while) and the chills. Going to be a brave little soldier and keep with the schedule unless it heads south :pleading_face:

1 Like

In late August I finished my specialty plan and took 2nd in my A-Race (yayyyyy!!!). Then my body promptly fell apart.

I got a pretty bad cold that eventually turned into walking pneumonia. Plenty of blame goes to me. After my last race I had a week of “fun” which consisted of alcohol, bad food, and little sleep. I did not correct my behavior soon enough after I started feeling sick.

I also tried to get back on the bike a few times, way too early. I even did a ramp test to start a new base phase and my fever came back within 12 hours.

Last but not least, my typical behavior is to avoid the doctor, relying on my “superior immune system.” I ended up seeing the doctor more in the past 2 weeks than the previous 2 years combined.

I am on the mend now and only a day or two from getting back on the bike for some endurance rides. I’ll ease into the intensity and hope to start a new base plan next week.

It was my first season of racing and training and there are a lot of lessons I can learn. I am so excited that I’m feeling close to 100%. Looking back, it was really physically and emotionally draining.

On the plus side, I got a killer ab workout from all the coughing.

1 Like

It’s fire prevention week so I’m hitting up the germ factories schools. It’s not a question of if, but when… (And yes, I am constantly washing my hands and hitting up the hand sanitiser.)

1 Like

I didn’t get once sick this year so far, I did gain some weight and I wonder if there is a correlation,

1 Like