Why can't I hit the target power?

hi there,

Before I ask the question, here is my setup.
Tacx Neo in Erg Mode, connected via BT.

When I complete my workouts, I am never able to hit target power on intervals. It is always 1W below. It may not be a huge issue but drives me crazy :).

Is anyone facing the same problem?

Most likely it’s because you’ll be lowering your average over the first few seconds as the resistance climbs from rest level to interval level.

2 Likes

As you didn’t post the power graph in your post, thought of asking, might there be a chance that you are using too big of a gear during the intervals for the watts needed. That may cause too much fluctuation in power, which in turn may lower the average watts.

1 Like

it should not be the case as I am in ERG mode. Plus I was on small chainring and mid gear :thinking:

My Kickr 2016 is the same, i’m always 1W under

2 Likes

Makes me mad:)

This is the same for me too. I’ve got a 2016 KICKR, I’ve updated firmware, completed spindowns, tried changing gears, speeding or slowing my cadence and still I’m always -1% power output. It’s does my head in but I’m slowly learning to accept that’s how it is and I am hitting my numbers!

2 Likes

1W! ONE WATT. 0.5%. Power meters and trainers aren’t even that accurate :wink:

5 Likes

It is all about Watts, even it is 1 :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

you all would go crazy if you were in resistance mode the whole time.

2 Likes

I have this same problem. Elite Direto in ERG mode. I usually increase the intensity by 1% whenever i can to balance this out. This sometimes increases the targets also, but i just go by the initial targets and make sure im hitting those.

The summary gives the average power during the interval, as measured. TR sends power changes 1-2 seconds early, to give reaction time to the trainer. Despite this, the trainer will probably be a little late hitting the target power at the start of the interval, but will also drop off from the target a second before the end. These two facts make the average slightly lower.

Here’s the beginning of an interval:

And the end of one:

That’s where your 1% goes. This said - do you think this difference has any impact on the efficiency of your training?

2 Likes

Might be losing perspective on why you’re doing this.

1 Like

Da numbers!!! Da numbers!!!

1 Like

Thank you for the info. “Da numbers” is totally on point. Its a psychological thing. I need to meet those targets in order to feel like I am applying self-discipline and not short-changing my workouts, regardless of whether there is actually an difference in training effect.

I just started with TR, currently in week 4 of ssbhv1. This is the first time ive ever done any structured athletic training, and hitting those numbers exactly or a bit over feels like what i need to do to keep myself on track. Maybe i’ll loosen up once i get some more experience?

Honestly, I never look at the summary. And by the way, the “missing 1%” ends up as an over-power on the recovery valleys.

Relax, do the workouts, don’t worry about the 1%. By the time you do 3x20mins threshold workouts, the behavior in the first and last second of each of those intervals will be the last thing on your mind.

2 Likes