WorldWide "Disaster" Day - Dec 15, 2018

Disaster 2018 Survey Results

December 15, 2018

Start Time Schedule: Time Converter - To convert from GMT into your local time zone (or vice-versa).

Friday

Saturday

Commemorative Event T-Shirt:

• 100% of the proceeds going to World Bicycle Relief.

Discord Voice Chat:

Workout Info:

Facebook Related Event:

Info:

Updated December 3, 2018:

• We are expanding Disaster day by encouraging the use of any of the Disaster workouts above for the day.
    This means you can use the 1/2 or 3/4 version of Disaster if the full 4+ hour beast is too much.

• The central idea here is to pick a workout that stretches you to a new level of work and time on the trainer. The 1/2 version may well be double the time you have done on a trainer in the past.
    • So choose any version that seems like a challenge, and maybe even scares you a bit, and join us all in a test of ourselves.

• It takes a strong mind to purposely put yourself through pain like this, but since they say miserly loves companyā€¦ weā€™re going to do it together.

• Shared suffering is an important building block of camaraderie, so hop on your bike and support your buddies.

• As much fun as I think this could be, I fear it may later be classified under the umbrella of ā€œgood initiative, bad judgment.ā€ Wonā€™t know until we try!

• Feel free to take breaks as need for stretching, nature breaks, and refilling bottles. This is meant as a fun challenge and the workout will be more than enough.

• We arenā€™t mandating particular rules. We just want people to take on an impressive workout and push themselves past the point they have tried on a trainerā€¦ and maybe have a little fun along the way.

• We have several ā€œleadersā€ set to start the workout at a particular time.

• Please reply below if you have interest in participating in this silly but fun challenge. Include a planned start time in your local Time Zone, and Chad will list it in the schedule above.

26 Likes

Hi Chad
Definitely interested in this sort of madness, have a few TR user friends Iā€™ll try and rope in as well. Iā€™m in Northern Ireland so will be on GMT. Also had the idea of maybe having any other interested TR users local to me round for a group suffering session lol. See what interest there is.

4 Likes

I really hate this idea, it looks miserable. Count me in.

17 Likes

Glad there has been so much interest to this madness. Iā€™ll (most likely) be leading from Central European Time on the day. Plenty of training and technical issues I need to work out, but Iā€™ll at the very least be on Zwift leading the charge. Would love to get more social media options going before the day. Let me know if youā€™re joining from anywhere in EMEA!

1 Like

Yes, as mentioned on the Facebook page, I will consider this ridiculous event as it gets closer.

2 Likes

If I keep up my training between now and then - yes this might be fun!

Also in NI so GMT.

1 Like

Sounds like a terrible idea, will need to adjust my training calendar but Iā€™m tentatively in!

4 Likes

If thereā€™s enough interest, I might be willing to organize some stickers or a T-shirt buy to commemorate the event.

I have a local vendor and event planner that can provide the services. Coincidentally, his event business is called ā€œBad Idea Eventsā€ which is perfect. :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Perfect timing! I had nothing planned in between SSB II and General Build; Disaster should fill that weekend nicely. The fourth hour looks like itā€™ll be my fave.

UK based so GMT.

4 Likes

Perhaps we make a fundraiser out of it as well?

6 Likes

Maybe the TR team can dedicate a podcast to a ā€˜fuelingā€™ strategy for this event? This will be very new territory for me and may others Iā€™m sure. Never spent that much time on a trainer, might need a better quality fan.

Iā€™ve already started researching possible distractions :slight_smile:
The best 33 movies over three hours according to vulture.com

8 Likes

I have below planned. Will probably drop the Friday night and replace the Sat morning Tallac +3 with thisā€¦

Sunday might need to be off as well or just a slow spin.

On a slightly more serious note - an honest ā€˜I admit I donā€™t know betterā€™ - this will come about 3/4 weeks into sweet spot high vol base for me. Any issues or is it really just like scrapping the planned workout and going for a really big long Saturday ride?

1 Like

Could be a great goal. I have no idea how to get started or what to pick for a recipient.

1 Like

Gotta make sure to come in a bit rested. Iā€™d say the day before off the bike. And it is likely a good idea to plan a rest day off the bike after.

I did a 324tss, 5 hour indoor ride/race last Sunday. I was smoked and worthless Monday, and I took Tuesday off (mostly because Iā€™m not following a plan right now). I expect this workout to be on the same level, but maybe a bit easier?

3 Likes

I think we could sure ask some questions for the cast. I think we might even get some replies from Coach Chad and Nate in here.

I will push for those a in a bit as we get more planning set.

Something like World Bicycle Relief might be a good one.

We could make it informal, e.g. convincing friends to each chip in $10 to WBR if we finish the workout, or perhaps one of the TR folks has a more organized way of doing it.

5 Likes

I am also interested. It is on a Saturday which is hockey & ski day for my kids - I may just have to get up really early to get this done. Maybe 4 AM PDT.

2 Likes

This is insane. Iā€™ll consider it.

3 Likes

Well then I like the energy thatā€™s going into this stupid idea. Like I mentioned over of FB Iā€™ve put it into my calendar. If nothing comes up Iā€™m in. And as Iā€™m based out of Singapore I can cover a fair bit of Asia and possibly Australiy/NZ if no other leaders emerge.

2 Likes

Over 2 months awayā€¦ @chad has enough time to come up with 4+ hours of workout commentary for us to enjoy.

4 Likes