WorldWide "Disaster" Day - Dec 15, 2018

Planning on a bit of a taper into Saturday. At the moment, I’m inclined to just copy the last week of Rolling Road Race (mid volume), if anyone has any thoughts?

After doing the half, I don’t think I can do it as a straight swap for the Saturday workout of SSB MV 2 anyway!

1 Like

The original (selfish) reason for choosing the 15th was because it fit into my natural taper for SSBII, so I think tapering in the way see fit is a great idea. I do think I’ll add an opener Friday evening to supplement the built-in taper I’m on.

3 Likes

What’s the chat app? Is that a swift thing?

Also, is there any merit in a new ‘live workout’ thread specifically for people to use on the day to notify that they’ve started, post pics, updates, motivation and completion etc? Or just keep everything in one place?

2 Likes

I think a “Disaster Day - Live” thread would be good. Not sure on the whole chat thing during it, but could probably manage a post or two!

1 Like

From the lead post:

Discord Voice Chat

We can sure start a fresh thread. I may do it this week.

2 Likes

Got you added.

Cheers everyone. I’m loving seeing all the posts of people’s battle with suffering.

To that end, here’s a little recap of my own experience with the half (short recovery). I had originally planned to do the half as a dry run 2 weeks ago but illness and a little bit of life got in the way as usual. My strategy was to tackle the half without any of the strategies I was planning to employ for the real deal.

This meant I was going into it fasted and without any sort of fueling for the first 80 mins or so. My nutrition ended up being very simple:

First 80 mins: nothing but water

At the 80 min mark I downed half a pack of Skratch labs Chews and switched to a bottle of Skratch labs hydration mix.

I hoped this would somewhat help replicate what some of the later efforts would feel like while at least partially glycogen depleted. It wasn’t easy by any means but honestly it wasn’t nearly the challenge I was expecting. I’m hoping that with the addition of some pre-ride nutrition and solid amount of on bike nutrition the full thing should be only very painful rather than insufferable.

Oh and caffeine. I’m thinking caffeine will play a big role in lowering the RPE. I’m debating whether to start early with it for those threshold repeats or save it for that brutal sprint/sweet spot work at the end.

5 Likes

I figured I’d just set my Zwift to whatever was hilliest for the map they’re on, and get that much closer to that dang Tron bike.

And I’m positive I’m going to need a couple of breaks - fill bottles, nature break, lay on the floor and cry.

1 Like

I plan to cry too. Just not sure when :stuck_out_tongue:

I am doing a Ramp Test tomorrow, and will see how that goes. If I feel good, I will do the full D. If not, I may try the 3/4 this week instead :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m in Co Armagh I’m for giving it a lash but I don’t know what time I’ll be at it!

2 Likes

I’ll be suffering in Co.Down next door from 9. Good luck

1 Like

Hi chad

Would you mind taking me off list I was supposed to start at 1pm GMT. I’m afraid work and stuff have got the better of me :weary: . For all you that are doing good luck.

1 Like

What is life without commitment? Please put me down for for 8am Chicago time ( 2 pm GMT)…

2 Likes

I have my rest week at the end of ss base 2 this week so I figured I’d do it before a week of recovery rather than after a week of recovery. It wasn’t too hard at all which means I hope my ftp is way up from this base cycle. I’ll find out this next Monday

6 Likes

One added, one removed.

Hey Chad, this is clearly a mad idea so you’ll need to count me in please.

I’m looking at an 0600hrs GMT start if you can add me please :tired_face::+1:

I’m down in Devon in the UK

2 Likes

Got you added. Welcome to the looney bin :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well of course life gets in the way.

I’ll be aiming to do the 3/4 now and getting on the bike as early as possible from 7am onwards (GMT). So I’ll see who is in discord at that time :smiley:

1 Like

ditto on the end of SSBII lol… debating the opener tho… truuli -2, i made a primer workout way back thats 20min (so a little less tss)

Screenshot_2018-12-11%20Get%20Faster%20with%20TrainerRoad

basically my crit WU being in florida you cant exactly WU for too long otherwise :sweat_smile:
exact intervals:
2min 50,60,70
3min 100
4:30 45
1min 120, 1min 45, 1min 120
3:30 45-30

1 Like

@mcneese.chad Alas… I’ve come down with a nasty cold/cough. Was hoping to kick it before the weekend but I’m still knee-deep in phlegm.

Could you take me off the list, Chad? I am definitely going to knock Disaster out sometime early next year but will have to sit this one out.

1 Like