Would Audible Narration be a good idea? I think so

I’m obviously not suggesting you would have to use it, but have it as an option for people to turn on or off. Either Nothing, text narration, Audio Narration or both…

1 Like

We have actually discussed this. I can’t promise if/when it will happen, but it’s something we’d definitely like to add to our software. And I’m super excited to personally read 1000+ hours of demandingly motivating (I hope) instructions to y’all. :wink:

33 Likes

Would consider hiring James Earl Jones for voice work.

2 Likes

A ‘replay’ screen text button would be good. Think of your GPS has that little ‘repeat the instructions’ button.

1 Like

Will we get the 3D holographic image of you as well or would that be V2 :wink:
I did try the audible beep which sounds before each narrative and still managed to miss some of them. So I would be super pleased if this happened.
That said. Your narrative just puts me in even more pain. Maybe I should turn them off :slight_smile:
Thanks for the support and brilliant product. I’ve just switched over from TrainingPeaks and TR is a world aprat IMHO.

2 Likes

@anyone@TR…I was just thinking about this today while following Antelope +5. As an airline pilot I enjoy using what you’ve created because it’s a little like instrument flying. Interestingly to me even after 10+ years of training/observing power I find myself fixating on the target donut, the actual power readout and time much like a pilot can fixate on one instrument when tired or confused. Not that that’s bad but, sometimes I get locked into a rhythm and just to keep my mind off the pain I look off screen and in doing so miss the text. The info you guys type in there is amazing for experienced riders and those new to training alike so an audio option in the future would make your product even more amazing.

Thanks for reading and Best Regards.

2 Likes

Or using Stephen Hawking’s voice :grinning:, although I saw somewhere that he was having trouble preserving his voice style as technology progressed.

I like the idea of being able to scroll back, though I find using my PC’s mouse during the workout is difficult. So keyboard control of scrolling would be best.

And a couple days ago the app displayed some text for about half a second and I was able to read about two words of it. This was obviously a bug of some sort, but reporting it to support would have taken a lot of work - you can’t just back up the workout a few seconds to see if you can repeat the bug. Text scrolling would have been useful, if only to be able to read the text.

As well as scrolling it would be nice if the screen displayed the targets we are working towards. Power is obviously there but Chad sometimes wants us to pedal at specific cadences. It would be great if that target could be displayed on the screen as well. Even if I read the text I find myself sat there asking “did he say 75 or 85 RPM for this bit”. Probably a memory problem on my part.
Another enhancement would be the option to exclude specific parts of it. For example, I am always keen on cadence improvements but my legs go straight up and down with no knee wobble. Would be nice to selectively exclude the knee wobble bits.
I’m probably getting a bit picky now but hey, I’m on a roll.

Is there an option to have the tips and suggestions in a vocal format. I tend to miss some important tips when my heads down and the lungs are bursting. Great training programme I’m well impressed. Already recommending it to friends.

2 Likes

No, there is no option for this. It has been requested.

1 Like

Thanks. That feature is really missing.
Many riders I know see Netflix or something while riding with TrainerRoad and we miss the instructions.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson can we please, pretty please have coach Chad do narration for all the workouts? It would be great for additional motivation whilst suffering away!

1 Like

It would also be great if when we extend our cool down @chad would tell us a story.

I think Chad might retire early if we made him do that. There’s so much text!

2 Likes

You should consider doing up one “basics skills” workout with audio that leads the trainee through the fundamental pedal stroke mechanics, cadence drills, aero drills, etc. It might be a mix of various SS, Threshold, VO2 max efforts talking about the rational of the type of efforts etc.

1 Like

For this to work it wouldn’t have to be Chad (although that would be ideal).
There are also some comments about automated text to speech capabilities. I don’t know how viable these are TBH or the quality of the speech. I am convinced that some form or narration as opposed to (or accompanying) text would work a lot better. Certainly for me anyway.
I have many occasions when I read the text “return to your normal pedalling” and I’d missed the bit that said do something different.

Also, don’t forget the 3D holographic avatar mentioned in the OP. :slight_smile:

Looks like Chad doesn’t actually need to record all the audio cues. He can just use this instead:

The training effect will be about the same.

2 Likes

Last night on my third Darwin interval I thought Morgan Freeman would be a good choice.

2 Likes

It might be a feature only for the hardest, most demanding workouts… as an added motivational bonus. That is, if you like coach Chad’s voice.

2 Likes

So, if Chad doesn’t have time to do the narration. How about asking Amber? She’s brilliant on the podcast and I think would be great at narrating the workouts. Could even split it. Halved the work already :slight_smile:

1 Like