Doing a straight up time based workout with TR outside can be difficult. We have long term plans to adjust the app so that it’s easier to do outside workouts but I think we can deliver some value before that.
The idea is that for any indoor workout on your calendar or in the workout library, you could hit a button and get an “outside workout” that is text based with either power range targets (specific to you) or RPE targets (if you don’t have a PM on the bike you’ll use).
Some of our workouts can’t be done outside, so we’d specifically write workouts that that make sense for outside riding and achieve a similar goal.
This is how almost every training plan is written online already.
Here’s an example of a wattage based outside workout:
- Warmup for 15 minutes. During the warmup do 2x1 minute of high cadence drill at 100 RPM target and between 300-320 watts.
- Main set: Find a hill or stretch of road that you can maintain a constant power output for 3 minutes. Do 5x3 minute intervals between 330-350 watts. Spin easy for 5 minutes in between sets.
- Cool down: Spin easy for 15-30 minutes,
We could still have approximate time and TSS goals for the workout.
The question is, would this be useful? My gut says a big YES, but I wanted to ask everyone here. And Coach Chad would be writing all of these workouts.
- I would like to have text based outside workouts
- I would not use text based outside workouts
- Other (see comments)