Wrist Support on Long Rides

LOL thanks, needed a laugh and I don’t mind good natured ribbing/humor.

My understanding from having had this “Cyclist Palsy” condition is that the ulnar nerve becomes irritated and/or compressed as a result of hand pressure/position on the handlebars. One solution is to stop putting so much pressure on your hands, and be mindful of the position of your hands. In addition to previous link, here is another take on the condition and ways to reduce/eliminate the causes:

1 Like

Barrera’s point was that the posterior chain was the culprit in his case, not his grip. Everyone’s mileage may vary, and I’m grateful for all responses.

• weak posterior chain / core
  • longer rides on rough roads
  • lack of awareness of body position as a road cycling newbie
  • resulted in putting a lot of weight on my hands
  • aggravating the ulnar nerve and resulting finger/hand numbness and tingling for days at a time
1 Like

Over those periods of time you need movement and change. For my six-seven hour rides I’m out the saddle once an hour, in an aero tuck the majority, on the hoods for climbs, etc - aerobars can be a real boon as your elbows don’t complain like wrists.

This isn’t a race, right? Plan your pit stops and toilet breaks, add some light stretching.

Perhaps. The only time I have confidence in someone saying that is when they have no problems. Have it looked at by a fitter with endurance in mind. A great set up for speed is not likely a great set up for ten hours in the saddle - and perhaps why you’re ‘fine’ up to 5. Generically speaking, even a small raise of the bars will likely be a good idea.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

So I did a 96 miler yesterday. Modifications were new gloves, with support that extended beyond the wrist, and simply being thoughtful about hand positioning and posture. I changed hand position regularly and caught myself slouching and extended my spine.

End result: hand is great today! No loss of power or control after the ride. I’m really happy, now all have to contend with is a sense of righteous tiredness the day after. Result!

Thanks to all for your help,

• Mark
4 Likes

Also, I can across this today: How To Prevent Numbness Or Pain In Your Hands Whilst Cycling - YouTube

Late to come back to the party, but photo/link to gives with extended support, please. I’m curious.

Sure! I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5TTV13/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Vulkan AE Wrist Support is professionally designed to provide the highest quality support, compression and relief to the wrist joint.

It can help promote faster healing, relieve discomfort from an injury and keeps the wrist stable yet cool.

Check out on : https://www.essentialaids.com/vulkan-ae-wrist-support.html