Year round subscription to TR, who's thinking of it or does it?

I joined the annual plan just before the price increase. I love that I can create my own training plans (with the guidance of the TR plans) using TRs massive library of workouts all in a very easy to use calendar. I’m loving this calendar

1 Like

Yearly sub here. Best value for sure. Generally, I also only use TR regularly during the winter / cold months which are about 6-7 months of the year. If I multiply the monthly rate times 7 it’s more expensive than leaving it run all year. And in the “outdoor” season I do resort to a indoor TR workout from time to time if weather is bad or something. Now with the new features like calendar and personal records, it makes even more sense to keep the year running. Those features alone, however wouldn’t be enough for me to justify the yearly subscription.
That said, I still have TP (free account) running as well. For total weekly TSS across all activities, run, strength etc and I use the hrTSS rTSS, as well, for reference. I use TP to track other metrics, weight, sleep, HRV and so forth. I use Elevate Extension for Chrome (formally Stravisitx) for fitness trend or fitness / freshness as i don’t need Strava premium. Hopefully TR be adding such features as time goes on, and one day I can have all my fitness data in one place.

0 Likes

Focusing on the Strava summit point. I don’t pay my £3.99 per month for the functionality that this gives me, like you say other packages are far better analytics wise. I pay the money as I feel they created something pretty special and it’s kind of my way of saying thanks for something I use. £3.99 seems a nice contribution if it helps develop the product.

1 Like

CTL is already the 6 week average that is displayed. @Nate has said they will be doing something different in regards to ATL/TSB - something that is easier to understand rather that lines on a chart.

0 Likes

Ah yes! I forgot about the Workout Creator!
Yet another bonus. Last season I tried to replicate TT race routes on the trainer, it was a lot of guess work. This season, I can look at power data from previous races and create workouts which will let me train the route at race pace.

0 Likes

In that case you should try BestBikeSplit :wink: Really cool site. You can load your TT route on there, then along with your personal/bike info it creates an ideal power plan based on the profile of the course (can even take wind direction into account). There’s an option on there to export to TrainerRoad. Fire up Workout Creator and voila, an accurate simulation of your TT course that will appear in your custom workouts. I did that for my local TT course a few weeks ago.

This TR vid explains part of the process:

4 Likes

Riding to a Power Plan
Custom workout based on imported outdoor ride

See, I didn’t know that either!! :smile: I used BBS last year so my routes are already loaded & ready to go! Thanks! :+1:

0 Likes

Awesome. Just look out for the TrainerRoad option on the Race Details page.

TR%20export%20from%20BBS

It’s a 2 min job after getting the file.

0 Likes

I keep my subscription active all year. I do my plans indoors in the winter/spring and then go outside but I still do at least a couple TR indoor rides a month due to weather or working late even in the summer. And, I do TR workouts outside once a week or so in the summer too. I look at it like I am paying for access to the workouts and plans which is worth the subscription price. It’s 1/10th the minimum cost of hiring a coach. The value is there so I don’t mind paying for it, even if I am not using the app every day.

0 Likes

Shoot, the only time I was not a subscriber is the first summer after beta testing. Should have stayed subscribing at that time. Been annual since returning … been over 6 years now. Even when I have gone almost exclusive outside, I like the TR option.

I look forward to expanding the options with the new features coming out. Too many things in life right now to truly utilize them right now.

0 Likes

I haven’t been using it long, but based on advice from people I trust I went with the year subscription.

For all the different things that TR provides I think it is a good deal and I like the idea of having most things here in one place. I think there is benefit throughout the year in being able to do certain workouts indoors and I live in an area where storms and high winds can make training impossible throughout the year.

I’ve been very happy with it and it only seems to be getting better.

0 Likes

Starting my 4th year with TR on the annual plan.

Best $8.25/mo ($99/yr) price that money can buy for training, IMHO.

Not even a question that it is more than worth the price.

3 Likes

I train year round on TR no matter how nice the weather is in the summer. I do not have time on every weekend to go on a long ride. But an hour or two is mostly doable. Same on working days. 45 or 60 minute Intervalls are always possible. Best spend money to stay in race form.

Best regards.

2 Likes

Annual subscriber here, have been using TR from Feb 2017, started about a half a year later from when I got my handbike in 2016.

0 Likes

Annual subscriber. Started off monthly but after 2 months saw the value of the platform year round and switched to annual.

0 Likes

Canceled Zwift after 2 years and went to an annual TR subscription. A year from now I will look at the market and reconsider.

Like the TR mentality that comes through (podcast, support, price lock). But it’s a fast evolving space with many companies competing for us users.

What should keep me locked in with TR - like others like @themagicspanner, @PSteely, @deepakvrao have said - would be

1. something around PMC (TSB, ATL, CTL) - if they find some better presentation of form…even better!
  2. Dynamically adopting training plans (give us the Xert approach as an option besides the traditional plans)
  3. Some better presentation of PR / breakthrough efforts.

Will see in 11 months from now how far and in which direction TR has evolved.

In his post on the calendar @Nate has put the details on how it will become even more polished. Hope they will share some broader picture of their overall TR vision too.

2 Likes

Exactly!!!

0 Likes

I got 205 PR’s on my Ramp Test yesterday… :joy:. No idea what the most significant one was, but I’m guessing 1’? Definitely miss the old PR chart.

0 Likes

Year long subscription for years now. I use the plans/workout in the winter and some in the summer. The value keeps getting better. I like the calendar (still have TP for now). I love the podcast and for my money it make it is really worth it. This forum is also a pretty great for TR community.

0 Likes

Used to be on TR, then went to zwift for about a year but realised that although fun, wasn’t actually great training and no structure (and cheats in races did my head in!). Came back to TR in May 2018 (podcasts were push I needed to return) and loved structure.
The calender function and price rise was push I needed to go from monthly to annual (that and only paying a FX fee once a year rather than each month to bank as live in UK

2 Likes