Your FTP improvements

Well im now at SSB2 HV and im dying to make it :smiley:

Oct 9th 2018 - SSB LV1 - 219W
Nov 18th 2018 - SSB LV2 - 228W
Jan 2nd 2019 - 247W - 3.51 FTP/kg
Starting General Build in a couple weeks after a team training camp.
Goal is a 300W FTP by Jan 2020.

Update: May 24 2019 - 281 - 4.12/kg
Finished Criterium Specialty last week - Planning a 4 week short power build and 4 week CRIT specialty to take me to my second A race end of July.

Update: Oct. 25 2019 - 287 - 4.22/kg
July A race was canceled so ended up flexing fitness on my local group ride for a few weeks instead:) Then went on to just ride as I felt for a few weeks before starting a summer pre base LSD period. Started SSB MV1 in late august and added a few weeks of longer SS work to prepare for a local gravel race. Ramp tested ahead of starting SSB MV2 end of October.

Weight is staying constant at 69kg despite the absurd amount of food Iā€™m having to dump truck down my pie hole.

Update: Jan 20 2020 - 300 - 4.35/kg
SSB MV 1&2, Short Power Build completed. True hour of power FTP test at annual team camp up Montezuma grade in Borrego Springs. Shaved 10min of my PR from last year!

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I noticed most of the improvement numbers (good job!) posted are for few months to appx a year. Some may be wondering what multi-year TR might be like.

Here is mine for 2 years 2 months. I test regularly with 2x8min FTP and 20min FTP.
Figure_1

I almost always test higher with the shorter FTP 8min, so never bothered with the new ramp test.

I currently run + bike about 7.5 - 8 hr per week total, with combined TSS of appx 550 coming off the SSB two weeks ago.

8 Likes

I doubt the second one was erroneous. I did the first workout in traditional base 2 today, Legs a little tired from the ramp, but certainly manageable. I also lift once a week, alternating deadlifts with barbell squats. It was interesting to see that my pulse wasnā€™t shooting up as I crossed into the upper 200ā€™s and lower 300ā€™s on the ramp test. Its also after 2 cups of coffee. Given what was said about sauna use, it may have played a role. Iā€™ve been using a sauna 5-7 days/week for about a month.

Not sure why you are testing 2 weeks apart. If the workouts are a little too easy just increase intensity 2-5%. I wouldnā€™t expect any increase in FTP in that short of a training period, expecially during Base 1. Most of your FTP improvements will come during the Build phase, depending on incoming fitness and experience. However, just keep consistent with your workouts and FTP will increase. Furthermore, increased fitness is not always measured in FTP. You could be increasing muscle endurance and/or losing weight that wonā€™t be reflected in a higher FTP.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my multi-year progression:

By way of reference, 73-75 kg, 46 years old, working full time, parenting 3 kids, and Iā€™ve been racing about 10 years focusing on road/gravel/CX. From 2013-2016 I had a coach program my workouts for me. I basically ā€œjust rodeā€ in 2016-17. Then for the past year Iā€™ve been using the built-in training plans. I think the story here is, first, that my first year of training with power showed a jump from 220 to 265W pretty quickly, but that progression after that has averaged about 5W per year. But even as a seasoned rider Iā€™ve seen a modest jump in my average FTP from 285 to about 300 W over the past 12 months thanks to being more committed to purposeful training and consistency.

3 Likes

i just finished SSB Mid vol. I which was pretty much my first ever, structured training program that i actually followed (more or less on 80% - i still like to ride outside just for fun). My initial FTP was 254 now after 6 wks increased to 274W (not sure if that is improvement or I just knew what to expect, honestly i did not expect any FTP increase after base phase, so im happy :). I am about to start Build Phase General Build Mid vol. and im adding 5 days a week indoor rowing, will see how it goesā€¦

All in all im very happy with TR :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They are not just little too easy. I am bumping to 110% and still do not feel tiered.

1 Like

Sorry if Iā€™m reading this wrong, but base phase is 12 weeks. SSBMV1 then SSBMV2, and then Build.

In any case, awesome increase!

2 Likes

Just did my third test:

20/10/2018 - 191
19/11/2018 - 205 (a bit undervalued I think - I was sick)
05/01/2019 - 246

Very happy with the progression !

This is the first time I use a home trainer so some gains were expected, but this kind is well above what I hoped before buying it. Iā€™m doing the Full Triathlon Base, Mid Volume and usually I do one additionnal workout on the trainer in place of one of one of the runs, so it brings it to 7-8 hours on the bike / week.

Thanks TR !

Iā€™m left wondering how in the world I will be able to finish my workouts now :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah a new FTP :grinning:. Letā€™s now take a look at my future interval levels during my upcoming workoutsā€¦:flushed::grimacing::tired_face:

3 Likes

New FTP 358W using the ramp test. Previous was 350W with the ramp test also, about 2.5 months ago.

Followed my own concocted Polarized Training program (from the library of TR workouts) for the last 6 weeks, I have really enjoyed the experience.

8 Likes

Well that was a bit disappointing, 3 months of commuting to work on the MTB and 2 gentle sub 50km rolls due to post op girlfriend has seen my FTP drop almost 30W.

Iā€™m now on 209.

But I feel motivated again to get back on the bus to 300W and drop down to 65kg.

3 Likes

29/11/2018 - 188
06/01/2019 - 248

Several reasons for the crazy bump.
Broke my back on August the 5th and had to wear a super sexy metal corset for a month.
Mostly lay in bed, then 2 more months where I wasnā€™t allowed to do any sports.

Pootled about on a Tunturi spinbike in November and started trad. base MV on the 29th.
Extended Phase I to 5weeks by adding week 1 of TB II before doing the recovery week, then did my SSB I ramptest today on Tacx rollers.
I know from previous years that the Tacx feels 20-30 Watts easier with the same ā€œWattsā€ having a much lower HR.

But 248 was still a happy surprise :slight_smile:
So a lack of being able to dig deep the first time + different hardware + fitness rebounding made for a 60 Watts bump.

Looking forward to the coming year with Trainerroad!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve spent the last week testing and looking at my power curve. Improvements across the boardā€¦

15s power - 11W/kg
30s power - 8.7W/kg
1 min power - 7.7W/kg
5 min power - 5.4W/kg
FTP - 4.4W/kg

All round pretty happy as thereā€™s been no work on top end so far this winter. Looking forward to the real hard work starting next weekšŸ™ˆ

11 Likes

It got you motivated again, so the three months werenā€™t a waste :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Pretty strong!

1 Like

Hey everybody,
sometimes FTP results can be very frustrating. I actually see no gains at all since last summer. Iā€™m closed to 4w/kg and I was like: ā€œyeah this winter I will beat those damn 4 watt markā€.

I started SSB I around October gained 2% and I was at 3.97 Watts. Then I got into SSB II and I was sure to end 2018 with something a little over 4 W/kg. But I crashed in the 5th week.

Now everything healed up and today I did a ramp test again. Bam I lost 4% now Iā€™m back to 3.8 W/kg.

I decided to repeat SSB II and I hope to finish after the 6 weeks at my goal with something little over 4W/kg.

But on the mental side it is super tough :confounded:

5 Likes

Hell yes.

2 weeks of VO2 max work then off I go.

1 Like

Did a ramp test today, to begin the General Build Mid Vol. But messed up the end, somehow losing the grip from my left hand for a few seconds seconds at the closing stages. And after that I couldnā€™t get cadence back up anymore. As a result, there was a decline of 1w from the previous test, now at 111w. But as I know I could have done more (I did Carson -5 at 112w after the test), I set the FTP at 114w. Weā€™ll see how the first real sessions go.

5 Likes