Your FTP improvements

Ftp up from 278 to 290 today, highest I’ve been and 4.00w/kg also highest, so well chuffed with that. Starting SSB1Low volume and see if I can complete an actual plan from start to finish!

5 Likes

SSB 1 = 215 (3w/kg)
Having never done a ramp test like this everything felt new. I think I had a bit more in the tank.

SSB 2 = 233 (3.24w/kg)
Felt like I completely emptied the tank – I was totally drained for the next 48 hours.

Today: SPB #1 = 243(3.43w/kg)
FTP increase but I feel like crap. I certainly didn’t have the focus and positive attitude I did with the previous one. Two trips to Asia in January and a lot of added stress over the past week. I’m thinking I’ll do this week @ 243, mentally re-assess at the beginning of next week and see if it’s worth nudging up the FTP.

The goal is 4 w/kg by DK200. It’ll be a combo of losing another 5kg and continuing to boost FTP.

1 Like

July 11, 2018 - FTP: 193

I did Pettit for today’s workout during week 4 (recovery week) of General Build. As I was pedaling and doing the cadence drills, I realized my prescribed wattage was 193 (FTP 276) at the peak of Pettit.

In 7 months of TR my previous FTP is now my recovery… unbelievable :exploding_head:

12 Likes

I had the same feeling today.

Did a little over three hours of SS intervals and some high Z2 today. My 90min average power was higher than my FTP from December and my 180min power was just under my FTP from October.

Now if I can somehow match those improvements an lose a couple pounds by my A race in May…

5.5w/kg seems reasonable;)

3 Likes

I’ll only count the FTP progress from the day I started using my current trainer since I use Virtual Power to train.
My initial FTP last September was 218.
After SSB LV1 FTP was 230.
During SSB LV2 I got sick and when I was returning from time off the bike as a result my FTP was 224.
A few weeks later I was feeling better and re-tested at 229.
I started Short Power build this morning and tested at 243! (I’m both excited and nervous about the coming workouts ha!)

1 Like

Yeah, that’s pretty incredible when you think about it ! My numbers are on track to match yours (from 191 in october when I started training, to 246 in january and I keep getting stronger).

@TR Guys - a huge thanks ! Don’t change anything - it works. As one of my favorite quote goes, from Charlie Munger - “Take a Simple Idea and Take It Seriously”

I bought a smart trainer by late Oct 18’ and my first app to use was TR. I wasn’t on a bike for couple of months and I never had any proper cycling training so I knew I had to do some easy rides before starting any proper structured plan… so I had like 3 rides before starting SSB I, anyway:

• 291 FTP when started SSB mid vol I (did a bike fitting in the middle)
  • 341 FTP when started SSB mid vol II (15% increase caused me a lot of pain in the beginning of the plan)
  • 361 FTP when started General Build vol I (6% increase, but I had a sinus infection during last SSB mid II recovery week)
    Currently I’m in the middle of General Build mid plan, but what I learnt is to trust in numbers :smiley: (and coach Chad!) Many times I was on the verge of giving up, especially during this last week of effort in SSBII (Spencer+2, Lamarck, Leconte). My legs were burning with this weird tingling feeling. I was like “ok, this is just a bit harder than last week, numbers cannot be wrong - I need to do it” so I pushed through. After all it gave me a lot of confidence and I’m more aware of where my limits are. Now if I see any training with IF < 0.9 I’m like “easy! I had worse!” :slight_smile:
    I’m aiming for 380-390 by the end of General Build which should place me somewhere around 4.0-4.1 W/kg - Yes! I’m in “sprinter” weight category :smiley: (6,4’ tall).
    By the way is there any specialty plan to support stealing KOMs on Strava? :smiley:
2 Likes

When I was lifting, I had a similar realization when my warmup sets used to be my work sets. I’ll Have to look at those numbers next week in the last week of General Build workouts.

Background: I’m a 28 year old male. I used to play squash competitively up until I was 24, then played intermittently until I was 27, when I snapped my quadriceps tendon. This resulted in surgery and 4 months on crutches up until March of last year. I started structured cycle training in November of last year as a way of getting my fitness back and giving myself a goal to work towards (175km charity ride, 1970 m of climbing in July of this year).

November 2018 - estimated FTP prior to first ramp test 175 watts, after ramp test 250 watts, however in retrospect i did a significant amount of the last few minutes out of the saddle. In December SSBLV1 was beating me up so i retested with an FTP of 207 watts.

I completed SSBLV2 at 207 watts and retested today showing an FTP of 235 watts, during this time I have cleaned up my diet, eating considerably less processed food over the last month, with increased protein intake, more gym (strength) work and reduced simple carbohydrate intake, resulting in a weight loss from 121 kg to 112kg over the last month. Overall I’m happy with how I’m progressing!

3 Likes

Just started cycling in April 2018.

Trainneroad training started end of December 2018, doing the Triathlon sprint low volume, have skipped a bunch of the running workouts for recovery purposes.
FTP was at 174w Jan 3rd
FTP was at 192w Jan 29th after the base phase

Starting the Olympic low volume plan late April 2019, hoping for some awesome gains.

Got a lotta weight to lose too, i’m currently sitting at about 2.23w/kg
As i lose weight i feel like i can easily reach 3w/kg before tri season starts
(if i reach my weight target, even if i stay at same ftp, i’d be at 2.5w/kg)

So i’d have to reach 231w FTP at my target weight to have 3w/kg

1 Like

I started with TR 1 year ago with an untrained, overweight and 52 year old chemo damaged FTP of 123w. After 12 months I’m now at 185w

I’m pretty happy with this and feel I’ve got a lot more to go too :+1:

That’s a 50% increase in 12 months.

Thanks TR

16 Likes

I started SSBMV1 at 223W and improved to 242W at the start of SSBMV2.

1 Like

I am 35 and hadn’t been on a bike since high school. I purchased a CX bike about a year ago, “raced” in the last crit of the season in August, got dropped, and purchased a Kickr Core and TR in November.

All testing done with TR ramp test. I weigh 68-69 kg.

FTP Prior to training: 183 W
After SSBMV1: 208 W
After SSBMV2: 220 W (This was during the holidays and I was drinking quite a bit during training and around the time I took the ramp test. After I cut that out I felt a lot stronger and subsequently upped most workouts during the first half of the build phase by 2-3%)
Half-way through Short Power Build MV: 239 W

So far I’m happy with my progress and really happy with TR. I live in Michigan and I can’t wait to get back on the road and feel all that new speed. I plan on racing in quite a few crits and hope to have fun and learn a lot.

Keep up the good work everyone!

3 Likes

Nice to see a fellow MI man. I think you’d get a hell of a lot more out of your workouts if you weren’t drunk on the bike :wink:.

2 Likes

Same here! I enjoy seeing your profile pic around the forum.

And yes, very difficult to figure out which interval when you’re seeing double :wink:

Congrats @FatherDamo2 some solid power and power/kg gains. I’m pretty much at the start of the journey you outlined. I have a 209ftp and 110kg, hoping I can emulate a similar progression

1 Like

Thank you @chappo and good luck with your journey, found the weight came off in chunks (never changed my calorie intake, did try (polar opposite eating!) eating more in morning and less in evening, cooked breakfast through to cereal at night, though hard to maintain with family). Keeping well fuelled for the workouts I’m sure helped!

Guess at some points putting on muscle and losing fat gave a zero change in the weigh, so don’t worry about zero changes in weight over many weeks. Keep at it every week, get plenty of variety with the training, in my head I always say no pain no gain! and I’m sure you’ll see those power/kg gains…

I’m in the 91kg range now and hopefully a couple of more watts gained by the next ramp test… you’ll feel so much better, faster and lighter when out on the real road too. Enjoy your journey, keep us all updated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a leadville native and decided to do the 100MTB 2019. Bought a bike September 2018. Bought a trainer and TR October 31st. Ramp test said 154FTP at 86kg (1.79 watt/kg) yuck! SSB Mid1 SPB Mid1 and now just started Century plan on Tuesday. Ramp test revealed an FTP of 240 at 74kg (3.24 watt/kg). Hoping to have a 3.5 watt/kg before the race. Thanks TR and thanks for the help and support from this forum and all TR users!

8 Likes

Just finished the ramp test for criterium.
355 down 11

SPB kicked my butt.

9/24 208 (did wrong)
9/25 258
11/5 320
12/17 358
1/14 366
2/11 355

Ftp/kg 5.71 from 5.95 from 5.78 from 5.22 from 4.21

5 Likes

Dude you continue to lay down some impressive numbers. I expect short power build will sometimes decrease FTP slightly but provide a nice boost in sprint power. If I had a W/kg of 5.8 I would print that out, tape it to my ceiling, and stare at it until I fell asleep every night. Nice work!

2 Likes