Your FTP improvements

I had no issues getting through the plan workouts, a few at towards the end were taxing but no lowering power or cutting short. I feel like I gave it everything so who knows. I’m currently @ 256 so maybe a modest rounding up to 260 to see how that goes.

:grinning:

7 Likes

Wow. Nice work. Those are huge numbers. Gives me hope for when I eventually give SSBHV a go.

1 Like

Just completed my 1st block of short power build and had an 11 watt increase. From 225 to 236 which put me at 3 watt/kg indoors, which was my goal at the start of the race season. Was supper stoked on this gain since its been a good long while since ive had an increase in FTP.

5 Likes

Great results , any reason for switching to Low volume build plan ? i am thinking about doing the same thing .

I wouldn’t worry too much, you’re probably just fatigued from the first four weeks of build, so you couldn’t express your fitness for the ramp test. I only had a 6 W increase (2%) during week five ramp of GB as well. That was coming from 23 W (8%) increase after Base. Increase your FTP a little and continue on with Build. Improved fitness is measured in other ways than just FTP, expecially since your focus in General Build is more V02 and anaerobic repeats. You’re stronger/fitter now, just stay positive and consistent with the plan :leg::hammer:.

3 Likes

We just had our second baby six days ago. If I can manage the LV Build I’ll be very happy. If somehow I can do more I’ll add shorter aerobic rides throughout the week. I don’t see 2 hr time blocks on the trainer happening for a little bit with a newborn and a 2.5 yo running around. :scream:

Just give it a few years. I’ve got four between 3 and 12 and mange 12-14hrs/wk on the trainer thanks to a very understanding wife;)

2 Likes

Thanks! I was in a good rhythm with number 1, getting five rides/wk in usually before anyone was awake. If number 2 is also a late sleeper like big sis and mommy, I’m golden. Just not in the cards until she establishes a routine.

Even with the toddler, I managed my best 70.3 last year, turned down a roll down slot at Nice, and qualified for short and long course AG Nationals. There is definitely life beyond parenthood, people!

Wife has been great this first week. She knows I need the workouts to be as good a daddy and husband as I can. I gave it up for about nine months with number 1 and that was not good for anyone.

1 Like

Nobember 27th 2018 FTP 111. Map 149
TBLV1 Tested 19/02/2019 FTP 138 MAP 184

Doing another round of base with ssblv1 (Throwing in a zwift race) and ssbmv 2. Before moving in the cycle.

I think my first round of base was just to get myself back to trainable condition.

Didier

2 Likes

Congrats !! same here expecting a second baby in 2 weeks , we already have a 3 year old now :wink:

1 Like

Well then best of luck to both of us making a LV Build even happen! Congrats in advance!

1 Like

I’m sticking with just 1!! We have lots of reasons behind it, but much respect to you multi-kid folks!
My guy is almost 8, so big enough that he can goof around weekend mornings while I ride and my wife sleeps in. Although still requires help with breakfast prep and staying on schedule that I can’t ride weekday mornings (I work from home so I ride between work assignments)

3 Likes

Just did a ramp test that I thought went pretty well. I made it to 20:01. That yielded 2W higher in FTP. I was expecting more as I made it to 20:05 last time and got 4W. Is the difference between 4 seconds on that step 2 full watts or is there something else going on during the test that contributes?

1 Like

It’s based on average power over the final minute of your test. Obviously longer time spent at the next step should raise your result, but bigger factor is where your average power sat on the step before. I’d bet your average power for the last test was higher relative to the prior step than this test by a couple of watts.

Example: my test yesterday the final step was 350W, but I averaged 348W. Had I averaged 350, my FTP would probably be 1.5W higher.

1 Like

Those are almost identical to my numbers :slight_smile: except I started on TR in 2017 took about 6 months off in 2018 :frowning: and started in Sept with 171. :confused: but now happily above 200 and just starting SPBMV short power build mid v. with a jump from 200 to 220 :open_mouth:

1 Like

Did the ramp test yesterday to start off my build phase, went from 300w at the start of SSB HV2 to 315w for the start of Sustained Power Build MV.

Excited to see what the improvements are after the first month of build and hopefully I can get to 5w/kg by the end of the year. (Currently at 4.6 but I can easily drop a few kg so I think its in reach if I keep up the consistency.)

6 Likes

Stuck at 239w since October, mix of burn out, holidays, and inability to mentally get into gear on a plan, then was on vaca for a week and blew out my back once i got back and was out another week. Pushed through the SSBLV1, never been so happy to change it up and get some FTP / VO2 max intervals going, and made sweet spot workouts a welcome change. Was doing Brasstown the other day and it felt WAY too easy, so I decided to do a ramp test afterwards. New FTP is 248w! Really great feeling to see improvement, no matter how small, added a lot of motivation to push through Agassiz and Darwin and dreading Mary Austin tomorrow, but I’ll fight through.

3 Likes

Started TR late Nov after being frustrated that my own efforts had me plateaued at about 300, or 4W/kg. tested on 11/28 at 304 on Ramp. Started SSBLVI, + commuting + some other rides. In January, decided to skip the “other” and just do SSBMVII + commuting. Tested at 295. Manually kept FTP setting at 300, figuring I just had a bad day. Struggled at the end of the block. Took a week of recovery rides (petit etc), retested, now at 288! Race season starting (don’t have an A race, but would like to cat up to 3 this year, though I’m not sure I can race enough to do it even if I had the results)

Trying to decide now if I should repeat last few weeks of SSBMVII with lower FTP to consolidate base, or move on to a general or speciality build. Would really like to get FTP/kg solidly above 4.0, to the point that it’s my “everyday” FTP rather than my “peaking” FTP.

edit: tried Leconte again today with new lower FTP, still had to cut power drastically on the last interval.

You’re new to TR and it appears you’re making some beginner mistakes with how to use their structured training and get the most out of yourself. I fear you’ll have a frustrating experience with TR (possibly your race season and/or goals) if you don’t get your training plan figured out. However, this (Your FTP Improvements) is not the thread to get into that discussion. Please post a new question in the forum and let the TR community help you out :+1:.