Your FTP improvements

Just finished my ramp test at the end of SSBMV2. Lost 30lbs and gained 32w during base. Pleased with my gains so far.

12/18/18 - FTP 238w @ 2.14 w/kg
01/30/19 - FTP 248w @ 2.38 w/kg
03/11/19 - FTP 270w @ 2.73 w/kg

7 Likes

1/11/19 - FTP 204w @ 2.11 w/kg
2/13/19 - FTP 225w @ 2.38 w/kg
3/11/19 - FTP 240w @ 2.53 w/kg

I’ve lost about 5 pounds during this time. I’m hoping to lose another 10 pounds by summer, but not a primary goal.

3 Likes

Thanks! I sadly am just a little bit slow still so will have a few more days at reduced ride % then will hit it hard come the weekend. Five weeks out from my first race of the season so mostly I need to make sure I am all healed up and don’t carry the illness into race season.

1 Like

In the middle of general build LV (with added baxter-2). Given It’s taken me 5 weeks to do the first four weeks of the plan and my general life fatigue™ levels this isnt terribly surprising right now.

3 Likes

As a 29 year old who took up drinking as a hobby from university, this is a nice success story for me to aim for. I don’t have the high school athletics background, but I took up weights and running in my early 20s - if I can be anywhere near 4.4w/kg in 2 years I’ll be a very happy bunny!

4 Likes

Thanks Man. Diet was the biggest part and is still the most difficult to control.

I think that it pays back 2 fold. You lose weight and increase your ability to train at the same time!

Also, don’t be fooled. I am off the deep end with this stuff. When I wake up I plan my entire day from food (how many calories, when, what type) to work (do I do yoga before or after the morning call?) vs the expected exercise for the day. It can be tiring at times, and is a drain on social life to those who don’t exercise everyday, but I enjoy the process and all the mini goals along the way.

I have a buddy who came from weights and running. He is just flew past 4.0! Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

After a really crummy year last year I buckled down, stuck to training plans and hired a nutritionist at the end of November with results I couldn’t have dreamed of having. Still seeing gains obviously not as high as what I did in the beginning but it has been pretty great to see the difference. I can’t wait to get out on the road and see what the difference is being down 26# and having a 33% higher FTP than I did at the end of last year.

October 10, 2018: SweetSpot Base Mid Volume I
Weight 187lbs/84.8kg
FTP 245
W/KG 2.89

December 18, 2018: SweetSpot Base Mid Volume II
Weight 176lbs/79.83kg
FTP 272
W/KG 3.41

January 22, 2019: Sustained Power Build Mid Volume
Weight 168lbs/76.2kg
FTP 315
W/KG 4.13

March 5, 2019: Rolling Road Race Mid Volume
Weight 161lbs/73kg
FTP 327
W/KG 4.48

19 Likes

Oh, I like this. Imma steal the idea :slight_smile:

Nice gains too!

The excel file? You are welcome to the file if you want it.

Can you post it? That would be awesome to track!

@marcxlanglois That’s freakin’ awesome! Congrats and great work

Thanks!

@marcxlanglois In addition to hard work seems like recovery is everything, sleep is sleep any big “takeaways” from the nutritionist?

That was one of the first things she said is “hey you suck at sleeping” I started forcing myself at least 7 hours a night and in most cases a minimum of 8 and it has helped me so much. I used to sleep 4.5-6 hours a night and it just wasn’t cutting it.

2 Likes

This link should work. I hope!

Thank you! Yes, it worked.

Totally at a loss. I’ve been a TR user for over three years now, albeit only really using it properly from October through March. Have stuck almost rigidly to a structured plan (SSB, general build and now on to a CX specialty) yet my FTP has gone up only 9W in all that time (245W to 254W). Just demoralising considering the effort and consistency that I have put in. Is there anyone else who has had disappointing results like this, in spite of good discipline?

I should add that this 9W gain is from October 18 to today.

What setup are you using?

Hi, I am using a tacx flux smart trainer although it does over-read by 25w compared to my stages pm. I have been doing the ramp test using both devices but tend to refer to the stages as that’s what I use in the real world. Regardless, the two consistently show a variance of ~25w but I tend to err on the side of caution and use the lower stages value.