Your FTP improvements

damn!! That’s some watts! What do you base your FTP on (which test, WKO4, etc etc)?

Like you said, cut out the junk calories and eat more fruits and vegetables.

Cutting weight now could make hitting the watts harder, so be careful of that.

Have you ever considered lifting? It’ll help your muscular endurance; not something for this year, but maybe next.

Maybe 74/370 is your sweet spot. Either way, adding 50W is a lot in a couple months.

What does your coach think?

I haven’t gone through this whole thread but I hope its been emphasized that the ramp test is a “rough gauge” and can vary meaningfully from day to day. I think there was a “do you test” thread which emphasizes the point that how you are performing day to day in your workouts is a much better barometer of your current fitness level than a single short ramp test

1 Like

Yep, you’re right on a number of points here. I’m worried that shedding weight will impact power output, but it is also the low hanging fruit for w/kg gains. I’m pretty confident I can get to 73 kg and keep the watts I have, but I need to be careful going under that too quickly.

The FTP test is done using the TR ramp test. Here’s yesterdays test. I don’t know what my coach things of it. @chad, what to you think? :smile:

I keep a spreadsheet of the TR plans I’ve done, the FTP result from the test at the beginning of the plan and my weight on the morning of the test. Here’s my TR history.

TR FTP Test Result (data point on the training plan recently completed)

Weight and FTP Test Result (on the day of the test)

Watts/kg History

As you can see, the watts have generally had the pattern of holding for a few months, then getting a decent jump. Weight comes down over a period, but then bounces back up. I need to get better at maintaining discipline when I’m lean. For reference, I’m 6’ 0".

6 Likes

stepping back from the trees; is the goal just so you can say you hit 5 w/kg, or are you using it for a european style race with a massive climb? 90% of american road races don’t have as much weight (no pun intended) placed on kg because the climbs aren’t long enough. I’m 6’5" @ 185lb, been as low as 177 and high as 190, and results don’t change much.
Also, the bigger you are, the higher fluctuations are from water retention and stress on the body.

So just trying to get a better sense why you are chasing 5w/kg and making sure it makes sense. If it’s to compete, just get the watts up super high and you’ll win more than stressing over a couple kg’s. @julianoliver

@brendanhousler I’m going to France and Spain in July for a cycling tour. Lots of climbing. So, it’s 80% just to hit the number and 20% because it’ll directly help me on my trip. Once I’m back, I’ll just focus on raw watts.

1 Like

I have suspicions that heavy weekend drinking submarined one of my ramp tests. See how you feel in subsequent workouts and give yourself a bump if they feel too easy. That’s what I did and it worked well.

Also, Chad mentioned that the one plan that he would almost never skip is the SSB2. Food for thought.

1 Like

I was still quite new to TR, and the podcast, when I started SSB1… I didnt bother reading the plan/phase text prior or after as I just added to my calendar and off I went. Had I known it was intended to do back to back I definitely would have done so.

1 Like

Fun!! I want to go! Lol.
Please keep us posted how this shakes out for you! Exciting stuff.
Cut the junk and see where your weight falls…
Also, assuming you don’t drink alcohol. If you do, stop. Instant weight loss.

Just finished my first 6 week block on TR after moving over from Zwift
11/02/19 - 265w @ 66kg / 4.0w/kg (feel like I left a little on the table doing first ever ramp test)

6 week sweet spot base low volume + a few commutes and weekend rides
22/03/19 - 293w @ 65kg / 4.5w/kg

Both tests done on the same Tacx Neo. I think the focus on more intense workouts, less overall volume and taking it easy on commutes has really helped. Don’t feel like I could really hold 293w for an hour though!?! Anyway, very happy with that, 300w FTP may be possible after all…

3 Likes

August 2018 FTP - 295 - 3.73 - at start of sweet spot base mid volume
September 2018 FTP - 315 - 4.31 w/kg - at start of short power build mid volume
Novermber 2018 FTP 323 - 4.45 w/kg - halfway through short power build
and now after completing sweetspot base 1 and short power build I’m right back where I started…
February 2019 FTP 298 - 4.11 w/kg - I quit a little early on the test (maybe) but there’s no way I had 3-4 more minutes in me.

3 Likes

Thanks! I have honestly just started telling myself I don’t care about my FTP test and whatever the number is it is. It really helped me calm myself down and really not wasting any energy on stressing about it and worrying what was going to happen. I can’t really nail down exactly what has helped throughout but my aerobic system is where I feel it the most.

Zwift 20min Tests
29th Mar FTP 239w @ 110kg = 2.17w/kg
11th April FTP 246w @ 109kg = 2.25w/kg
7th May FTP 262W @ 107kg = 2.44w/kg
16th July FTP 283W @ 100kg = 2.83w/kg
31st July FTP 307W @ 100kg = 3.07w/kg
3rd Oct FTP 310W @ 96.7kg = 3.205w/kg

Trainer road - Ramp tests
8th Oct FTP 299W @ 95.5kg = 3.13w/kg
5th Nov FTP 310W @ 95.5kg = 3.25w/kg Half way through SPB MV
3rd Dec FTP 319W @ 93.1 kg = 3.43w/kg End of SPBMV
7th Jan FTP 327W @ 92.6 kg = 3.53w/kg mid Mid HMHV II
28th Jan FTP 334W @92.2 kg = 3.62w/kg End of HMHV II
19th Mar FTP 336W @ 92.1 kg = 3.65w/kg Mid Century Speciality
Still improving, maybe time to lose a few kilos, less sweets! :slight_smile: Happy

11 Likes

Awesome improvements there! Very similar weight and wattage improvements to myself. Keep it going. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Definitely pumped with my improvement since I start with TR back in December.

December 3rd - FTP 225 @ 166.6 pounds (77.5 kg) = 2.98 w/kg
January 15th - FTP 235 @ 161.8 pounds (73.4 kg) = 3.20 w/kg
February 12th - FTP 250 @ 158.8 pounds (72.0 kg) = 3.47 w/kg
March 12th - FTP 257 @ 155.0 pounds (70.3 kg) = 3.66 w/kg

Who knew training 7 hours a week would make you faster =)

9 Likes

I started TR in Nov 18, using a Kickr Snap (and it’s PM), with an initial FTP of 218w. In early Dec 18, having got used to the Trainer, I started SSBMV1, retested, and managed 241w.

This took me through to the Ramp Test at the start of SSBMV2 where I ramp Tested at 230w having REALLY struggled with Over and Unders through SSBMV1.

Not deterred, I cracked on with SSBMV2, made sure I was properly fuelled and hydrated before as well as during the workouts, and managed to get in top of the VO2 stuff, even almost enjoying them… :wink: Mid-way through SSBMV2 I upgraded to a Stages LH Crank PM and started using PowerMatch. I retested to set an FTP using the Stages, and tested at 232w.

Yesterday (Saturday 23 Mar) was my first 10mile TimeTrial of the year, with the final workout of SSBMV2 due today, so I did Truuli on Friday, skipped Andrews yesterday, and went full bore at the TT.

I averaged 254w for the 10mile trip, knocking 14seconds off my Course PB, and setting a time of 23m52s.

Using those numbers, I’ve reset my FTP to 245w, and will be doing Boarstone with it today, before starting Sustained Power Build High Volume (owing to having the time to do it due to a good few weeks of leave) on Wednesday.

Long may the gains continue… :muscle:t2::triumph::man_biking:t3::dash::dash::dash:

11 Likes

One year of structured training tested on occasional UK mountain biker (n=1):

20th March 2018
Estimated FTP: 172W, 81.5kg or 180lb (2.11W/kg)
5min power 194W

28th February 2019
Estimated FTP: 247W, 74kg or 163lb (3.34W/kg)
5min power 309W

Subscription renewed! It’s well worth it even if I have had to buy a lot of new clothes! I’m 183cm or 6ft.

All done on Low Volume plans. Just finishing Sustained Power Build (again). Testing in 9 days to kick off Cross Country Olympic. I’ll be adding in bodyweight strength and more actual outdoor rides this summer.

Couple of MTB Marathons planned in for this year in the UK. Thinking about holidaying in Australia in late 2019/early 2020, so am eyeballing the 100km Otway Odyssey in Victoria :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Careful using outdoor number inside on the trainer, they can be significantly different. It’s usually best to use the ramp test FTP for your indoor workouts, then adjust your FTP based on how workouts feel. If you feel your FTP is higher than your ramp test, you can always slowly adjust up after a few workouts into a plan. But if you try to hold onto an outdoor FTP while training indoors, you could over reach and dig yourself a hole.

1 Like

If your goals are XCM, why aren’t you using the XC Marathon Specialty?

Indeed! I used XCM Specialty in 2018 to good effect, but I’ve since realised that VO2 max is a limiter for me. I’d like to improve it, so I am choosing to ease into more of this kind of work in a Specialty phase.

2 Likes

As it stands, i’ve got a lot of time on my hands, so i’m going to leave it as it is for the first week, and see where i am at the end of this week.

Plan is rest day tomorrow, then Pettit on Tuesday (in place of the Ramp Test), followed by Andrews on Weds, Wilhelm +5 on Thurs, Collins on Fri, followed by Fang Mountain and Hunter for the weekend.

If i’m struggling by Thurs/ Fri then i’ll wind it down 5w, and see how we go from there…