Your personal best way to lose some fat - anecdotes / experiences / examples of what kicked your ***

Jcorfield,

The next time you are ravenously hungry, try a “fat bomb” which is handful of peanuts and 2-3 table spoons of coconut oil. Total caloric intake is 320…ish calories. I actually prefer one table spoon of coconut oil. Put the peanuts and the oil in a bowl and then heat everything in a microwave on a medium-high setting for 1-2 minutes. You can also add some low calorie seasoning. I’ve noticed the “fat bomb” crushes my appetite. Also, I recommend starting your day with a minimum of one liter of water with electrolytes. Drink water before doing anything else. And finally, have a bunch of premade salads and greens ready to go. We have a tendency as human beings to reach for the “easy” food/solutions, so keep it easy and simple.

Good job on the weight loss! Those are solid numbers. Also agree with your comments on pizza :smile:

3 Likes

Cheers buddy, i’ll give that a try! :slight_smile:

187cm, from 103kg to 83kg over the span of 18 months which I’ve held for a couple of years now. Now target is <80kg.

For me, TrainerRoad was the my factor in weight control. High Volume training - riding almost every day for 60-120 minutes. Invested in good quality kit (Tacx Neo). Also weight training at lunch times and occasional running.

But not just the calorie burning, TR prevented me from consuming junk. I watch Netflix while training, and now I can barely watch a film without wanting to do so on a bike. Without TR, I’d be sat on a sofa eating crisps, chocolate and alcohol (all not possible on a bike). By the time I’ve finished my evening ride it’s too late to nibble, so eat supper then bed.

Therefore, for me: Bonus 1 = burning calories. Bonus 2 = no time for boredom eating. Double power!

6 Likes

I’m 198 cm and this summer in advance of the tour de france peloton I’ve climbed Alp D’Huez. I was suffering a lot and was at my top weight of 104.4 kg.

When I was back at home I decided things needed to change. I’m not following a specific diet or something but I stopped eating anything which contains added/artifcial sugars.

I’m doing this now for 10 weeks and allready lost 9 kg.

My target is between 92-94 kg, last week I started training with TR and hope this will help me to loose the last kgs so I will be healthy and strong to ride the Tour of Flanders cyclo and the Parix-Roubaix cyclo in April 2019

5 Likes

Hello everyone, I have a query. my training schedule is 7 p.m. During the rest of the day, I work practically sitting almost all the time. My macros are 40% C, 40% F and 20% P. Breakfast 7 a.m, appetizer 10 a.m and lunch at 2 p.m. My main breakfast is oatmeal or muesli, and main meal salad with chicken and quinoa. I ask you to help me tell me if you would change something on my menu at the time I eat the food. Thanks in advance

Another vote for My Fitness Pal here. the biggest thing (for me) is actually understanding how many calories you are putting into your body, if you link it to your Garmin account for example you can see the daily calorie deficit you are hopefully running, especially when you calculate calories burned via exercise.

After that it is good quality nutrition, home prepared food, lots more fish, vegetables etc. ditch anything that is refined, processed or mass produced. (hard I know)

But, and its a big but., the hardest and most successful strategy for me is always, always, cutting down massively on alcohol intake. not only is it a lot of empty calories, but it goes hand in hand with excess consumption of bad, fatty food.

Replacing a bottle of wine and a load of cheese & salami whilst watching a movie with salads and juices is hard in principle, but basically its something to pick at and you soon get used to it. hopefully!

1 Like

I can’t calorie count, can’t diet, well no such thing as can’t but choose not too, like food/sweets too much… I’ve lost 15 kilos in last 6 months mainly by putting the miles in (150+/wk). Some weeks I lost nothing other weeks I could lose 2 kilos.

Did find the best times I lost weight were doing two 1 hour rides per day.

First one was the Fasted 5:30am ride.
I used the workout (https://tinyurl.com/ydd5po8r) and lessons (Episode 9 - Let’s Talk Food) provided by Zwift coaching podcast episode 9 . Can’t remember the intensity, think it was a mixture of 65%- 75% of FTP intervals for an hour. I’m sure there is a similar workout of TR, just haven’t looked for it yet.

The second ride was 6pm, that was a mixture of what ever plan or ride I fancied doing.

I also found this altered my eating habits, big cooked breakfast after fasted ride, normal lunch and small dinner or cereal, not a totally conscious thing but found a big breakfast set me up for the day, I’d earned it with fasted ride! It also stopped me snacking up to lunchtime too… and I didn’t then need a big evening meal after doing the second ride, and sometimes just fancied Cereal.

Probably the reduced snacking and small evening meal helped.

It seems obvious but according to that podcast your body is supposed to burn food faster when awake than asleep. So it makes sense having that big meal in morning and not the evening.

One last thing, one of my motivations is I wanted a good PR on a local climb, I read somewhere that on a 8% climb (might have been 6%) every kilo you lose gives you an extra 7W… that’s 105Watts of free power for losing weight 15kilos on top of fitness I’ve gained :wink: Knocked 3 minutes off my PR for that climb and intend on improving it still.

I’m still on the downward weight trend, albeit at a slower rate, but getting faster uphill all the time.

2 Likes

Cut the carbs and do lots of fasted workouts.

1 Like

With TR doing fasting at high intensities it is very difficult for me. When you’re talking about cutting carbohydrates, are you saying to remove those from breakfast?

My first recommendation is: take a look at the motherfucking best fat loss article. Link is above below post one. Many you get there some answers.

3 Likes

I have a question, I have my daily calorie number, 1700, my question is: The day I trained and burned 1000 calories, I have to consume 1700 + 1000? I know it’s a silly question for some. But I have the doubt. Thank you

1 Like

This depends on your goal and how accurate the 1000 calories actually is.

I’ve noticed a disparity of around 400-500cal between myfitnesspal’s estimate of a TR workout pushed through strava and the TR estimate itself.

When tracking I essentially ignore the estimate for exercise and just take in some additional carbs to fuel for the ride. It would be difficult to match the higher estimates and relatively easy to overdo it.

I mean, if I have to add calories required by the App + calories spent per exercise = calories that I have to consume that day

a decicit, for example, 1000 calories of training, but the calories that the App gives me to lose weight, would not be too much?

Take your TDEE + the KJ estimated by Trainerroad. KJ = Kcal cause of thermoregulation and other processes. And if you hava a office job with nearly no moving around just take this as your kcal goal and you will be around 500 kcal below your daily needs.

1 Like

What I found working best for me is to plan my workouts ahead of time, so that I can take the weekly TDEE + total estimated calories for the full week and divide it by 7. This makes it easier to plan daily caloric needs, as there’s no magic cutoff happening on a midnight. It also makes me eat a little bit more on the easy days so that I don’t have to stuff my face on big days.

3 Likes

It really depends on where you’re getting the 1,000 calories burned number from. If it if KJ from a power meter then that will fairly precisely estimate the burn, so you should aim for around 2,700 calories. If you’re using virtual power or some other measure to get your KJ or calories burned then I would almost certainly eat less as almost all of these measures will overestimate your calorie expenditure. Of course - with training it is very hard to lose weight and gain fitness so you should figure out what your focus is for this period of training before making a severe calorie based goal. If you’re only trying to cut weight you should be feeling hungry often but if you’re trying to improve fitness you really want to avoid going too negative on a day to day and week to week basis as it will hamper your fitness gains. At some point, with weight management and fitness gains, you’ll have to learn how far negative you can go and avoid it.

As an example yesterday my calorie goal of 2150 plus on bike calories burned (2067) had me around 4200 calories to eat for the day - but by the end of the day I was only around 3600. This isn’t a big deal for me on a single day, but I’ll be much more lenient with myself today - if I feel hungry and my body needs more energy I won’t be afraid to go over what I expect to be a roughly 2150+1350 calorie day and eat as high as 3700 or 3900 calories. That said - if my body isn’t demanding those calories I’ll stay at or below my target. As @konradkowara mentioned - you need to look at things on a rolling basis, not just on an individual day

1 Like

I just toggle to week view in “nutritition” on myfitnesspal (in Android). What worked for me was fueling (particularly the recovery) of days I did more rather than trying to average out the week.

Now in maintenance I try not to eat the “earned” or at least all the “earned” calories, and relax at the weekend. I generally use the week toggle to keep on track/ not go too mad at the weekend.

1 Like

Interesting info in this short journal from a few years ago: Maximising power to weight & overspeed training

Some of these recommendations are very aggressive and for reducing non-functional muscle, but it was interesting none the less.

Most notably, a high protein diet (2.3g per kg of body weight) in conjunction with a 40% calorie deficit and whole body strength training resulted in minimal amounts of lean muscle loss.

What days of the week do you fast? How does that workout? You stop eating at say 6pm on sunday evening, then eat again 6PM Monday evening or on Tues morning? So is it a 24 hour fast or 36 hour fast?