Zwift Secures $120m Investment - What does it all mean Basil?

I think I’d agree with this as well. GIven the relative competition between the two companies it’s refreshing to hear a balanced discussion regarding the two products.

I do think that while they are in competition to a degree they are significantly different enough to coexist in the current market. Personally I credit TR with the most part of my improvement as a rider over the past few years, think they have a product with huge value, and have no intention of leaving the TR structure.

However I’ve also recently discovered Zwift and more specifically Zwift racing which I think could be a bit of fun over the winter months. Personally I think that the TR plans and structure fit much better with both my goals and personality but I fully see how Zwift can appeal as well and appreciate the discussions around the bike training options.

2 Likes

I come from the world that many a true word from folk is spoken in jest. That is just my opinion and I’m probably wrong but it does still feel to me like a negative comment towards Zwift, regardless of whether it be dressed in many winks and smiles. That’s just me and I do respect your opinion and that your comment is given as flippant.

I do feel on the forum that if you Zwift then you aren’t serious with your workouts and training. Only if you do your workouts with the TR screen alone can you be doing them seriously and if you include Zwift then your just a Gamer, because you can’t have fun when doing a hard TR session. Its just the vibe I get overall on the parts of the forum I read. Maybe I don’t read enough parts!

1 Like

You put my views much more eloquently than I. Thank you!!

Nothing wrong with zwift, it’s not my thing but I get how it’s a great product with a solid and hopefully growing subscriber base. I can also see how the graphics would need to be modelled around the capability of ‘cycling dads’ laptop rather than an Xbox one!

It’s a competitor or TR for sure, but each has enough USP at present to ensure they can co exist in the same space. Based on what I have heard from the TR team here their roadmap will create even further space…Personalised data v gamification.

Finally, I’ve seen a few sniffy comments on here about zwift, nothing too harsh but enough to create a ‘vibe’ IMHO, no need for it

2 Likes

I don’t get that vibe at all. I’ve used Zwift on virtual club rides, and virtual climbs. It is oddly addictive and a fun distraction. Tried the plans but preferred TrainerRoad plans. For awhile was paying for both TR and Zwift, in the end I put my money into TR but may pay for a month or two of Zwift this winter. Took the money I would have spent on Zwift/TrainingPeaks/Strava and put it into strength training.

1 Like

Any investment in Cycling as a whole is a good thing in my opinion. Look at Team Sky to see how fragile the cycling economy is in practise.

Just as an aside - here’s a little snippet of how I’ve been using Zwift racing as training…

Buffalo -2

Innsbruck race

Planned to do Buffalo -2, instead did the Innsbruck race giving pretty much the same workout. Those efforts were so much more bearable watching my avatar than a blue box!!

1 Like

The problem isn’t making the graphics incredible, the problem is doing that and scaling the graphics down to supporting the range of devices and hardware they need to.

I’ll have to remember not to be flippant on this forum ever again.

Maybe I’m just Scottish and most other folk on here are just too, well, not Scottish to get it.

4 Likes

Just for the record, here are my views regarding Zwift graphics:

• Zwift graphics are better than a AAA game from 2003, but not by that much.

• Zwift graphics are miles behind something like ‘Project Cars’ or ‘The Division’.

• Neither of the above really matters as it’s only a graphical representation of a race. The value doesn’t come from the graphics it comes from the competition.

• The cost of entry into Zwift is already high, given the cost of a smart trainer, so adding £1500 for a top of the line gaming machine isn’t good business sense.

As it is, I like my graphics to be as realistic as possible, so I actually go outside and ride my bike as much as conditions allow - reserving the turbo for sessions that are hard to do outside.

Mike

2 Likes

I generally agree with the graphical considerations here. I think my main problem is that Zwift isn’t stylised enough to be interesting. They’ve tried with some of the features you ride past but it just didn’t hold my attention.

For the record, any criticism of Zwift I have aired on the forum was just from my own perspective - I don’t have any particular hatred of the platform or it’s users.

I tend to agree. I started with Zwift hoping for serious training plans to go along with the racing and group rides. I found their training plans lacking but the interface to training very compelling. Time seems to fly by on Zwift, not so much on TR. If Zwift had decent training plans I would never have come to TR. I quit Zwift at the end of the summer with the upcoming price increase and the lack of use, but I will rejoin for Feb, Mar, April when I am into the heavy indoor training season even if it is just background for the TR workouts. I will keep TR year round for the TSS tracking, the plans etc.

2 Likes

Not used it myself but am lead to believe that an Apple TV 4k for around £150 is probably the cheapest route into Zwifting and has good graphics, IMO vastly exceeding Konami’s ‘Track and Field’ of the 80’s…(yes I still play it!) There is no requirement for the £1000+ gaming machine.

Apple TV 4K is limited by the data channels available so an investment in a 4iiii HRM solves that issue shown here by GPlama 4iiii Viiiiva Heart Rate Monitor // AppleTV Bluetooth Problem Solver - YouTube . That would add another £90.

Then all Ant+sensors can be mapped via the HRM and your good to go for £250.

Myself, I just used my already purchased hardware, but am considering the above as a stand alone setup.

2 Likes

Graphics are fine from my point-of-view. The bigger issue for me was it led to not complying with structured plan. I’m pretty competitive, and admit that a lack of self discipline led me to turning off Erg mode in order to ride harder than people around me. In the end I decided that using TR while watching conference sessions and educational webinars on YouTube was a better use of my limited time. Plus the ‘throw some money at strength training’ mentioned above.

2 Likes

Out of interest does that happen out on the open road? Maybe shows the realism it does produce… I also have been sucked into ‘mini races’ on the platform, now I’m doing TR training I do tell myself not too as it’ll impact future sessions, I guess we all have that competitive streak… my biggest thing is to fight the urge of posting a fast volcano orbit, still find myself getting sucked into that!

1 Like

absolutely! Ruined a Monday ramp test 10 days ago after a “casual” Sunday coffee ride. To be honest I needed to enjoy my fitness, outside and in a group, so no regrets. We can ride all year in NorCal, so I’d rather keep trainer sessions focused on structured plan.

1 Like

:smile::smile::smile:

This is pretty much what puts me off. I do plan to try it if/ when they ever launch Android (according to the forum, my phone should work with beta, if it was open). Apple TV isn’t really a portable option for say wattbike/ gym either.

A great selling point for TR v Swift is the minimal set up costs if you’re Android based, and the PC Specs. Only with a dirt cheap sub €100 tablet have I ever had laggy TrainerRoad. The additional costs were, if I recall correctly, sub €5 for an OTG cable for my Ant+ dongle for the phone.

1 Like

:thinking:

Honest question, why would TR users’ opinions of Zwift have any impact on how you use/value TR as a product?

3 Likes