Zwift step test too high vs TR?

I canceled my Zwift after they didn’t grandfather me in to what I was already paying. I guess I’m just spoiled by TR :stuck_out_tongue:

I just used it for the occasional race anyway and to have something other than the blue blocks to look at. Now I just watch racing vids on YouTube instead.

1 Like

I still have access to it and can look to see if I have time to fit in a Z Ramp and TR Ramp within a reasonable time for simple comparison (non-scientific).

2 Likes

Would be great to hear someone else’s feedback on this and their experience. Let us know your results if you do it!

1 Like

So gave a workout a test at my new ftp… Now, maybe it was mental, and maybe I’m being a baby… But, tried Dade+1, 2:30 vo2max intervals and was probably more difficult than expected. Found myself gassed after about 2min leaving those last 15-30 seconds as a total fail. Having dropped it 5% to my old ftp made it difficult but manageable.

Long and short I think the zwift test probably overestimates, or I’ve psyched myself out.

1 Like

I did both Zwift and TR ramp test in a very close days. Zwift gave me 246 which I don’t think is accurate because I knew that I can’t sustain 246 for an hour. In contrast, TR gave me 231 which I believe that is more closer to my fitness is. I felt that Zwift is using fixed 20 watt a step which brought you up to the higher intensity faster so you can actually sustain higher power because you were not exhausted for too long. In the other hand, TR is based on 6% of your FTP that in generally is a better approach.

2 Likes

FTP is not pegged to a set duration, it can be anywhere from 40-70 minutes depending on your fitness. Zwift’s MAP test is intended for elite male (one of three test protocols developed by British Cycling). Non-elite male should use a 25w ramp and 15w for female. TR’s is a 6% of FTP ramp which will give a much longer burn (depending on the starting point, 14w in your case). N=1, my non-elite MAP, TR’s ramp test, Kolie Moore’s empirical FTP test, and 30 minute TT matched pretty well.

3 Likes

It’s worth noting that the Zwift protocol (fixed 20w/minute jumps starting at 100w) is the old Maximal Aerobic Power (MAP) test. You can find plenty of references to that protocol going back to the 1990s, and the 20w/minute jump was the level typically used for elite male athletes.

Applying that protocol to everyone (most people are not elite male athletes) is… kindda lazy, and probably not appropriate for most users. TrainerRoad was smart to adjust the protocol based on a fixed percentage jump. I think the TR protocol can be used effectively over a wider range of athletes.

1 Like

I tested higher using the zwift ramp test so I’m pretty sure that its the trainerroad one that is flawed actually…

Seriously though I only tested 2w higher using the Zwift one so I’d be happy using either.

3 Likes